Cooking crayons in the oven.........

My ds woke me up at 3:00 this morning saying he was hungry. We laid in bed for an hour and a half, hoping he would go back to sleep. Around 4:30 I realized that he wasn't going back to sleep. I put some biscuit in the oven and went to fix me some coffee. I started smelling something weird. I look over and my oven is smoking! Ds had put a box of crayons in the oven. Have you ever cooked any toys are anything? A while back he put his toy cars in there. Had the house smelling like rubber all day long.

babygirl0782

Asked by babygirl0782 at 8:12 AM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I have purposely put crayons in the oven (to make new crayons) but I luckily haven't found anything that wasn't suppose to be in there.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:13 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I would install some sort of oven lock to prevent that because it could be hazardous - fire or releasing toxins into your home. We haven't had an issue with this but I know someone who had fridge issues and needed to install a lock.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:38 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I stick my comal & bulky pots & pans in there & forget, so I just reheat them. A box of crayons - nope. If he'd just unwrapped them, stuck them in muffin tins, & turned the heat on low, you coulda had some really cool new crayons this morning :) Hope the smell goes away soon.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 8:47 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• When we moved into our first house, the previous owners had left the oven. We knew the oven had been used recently because they were making cookies the day we came to look at the house. It was our first day in the house, and I turned on the oven to preheat it. A few minutes later, I decided to open the oven to make sure all the racks were in the right place. Sitting right on the top rack were the broiler pan with the oven instruction manuals on it.

We're in our third house now (no, the first one didn't catch fire), and now the inside of the oven is one of the first places I check.

As for my kid putting things in the oven, it hasn't happened.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 9:00 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• never done that,however i have caught a pot holder on fire as well as a dish towel
    juansmommy

Answer by juansmommy at 9:04 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I put things in the oven sometimes. To get them off the counter and out of site.
    Hint, check the inside of the oven before turning it on.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:35 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Nope! My mother uses her oven has storage for her pots and pans so, when I left home I was used to checking the oven for stuff before I turned it on!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:35 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Nope I have never done that one.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:41 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Nope, I have a child gate between my living room & kitchen. My dh has stored baking pans in the oven before, just had really hot baking pans.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 8:52 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Nope! My girl knows better than to touch the oven, when it's on or off. The only time she's ever allowed close is if DH or I are standing with her, and she's helping cook something on the stove top. (Adding ingredients to the pot, stirring things, etc.)
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 11:10 AM on Jun. 4, 2011