Texting & Driving...

If you suspect your child (mine is 17) that lives at home & you pay for their car insurance is texting while driving, would you check their phone when they walked in to see the time on their last text to see if it sent was while they where driving?

Do you think it is appropriate to do ongoing random "text" checks?

sipn_mom

Asked by sipn_mom at 8:22 AM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Oh, if you have any suspicions that she might be texting while driving, just show her this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMYKXSPgaIw

To say it's pretty horrid is an understatement.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 8:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Yes but I actually pay for a service that disables their phone while driving. You can google them or go to your cell phone service provider to ask about what will work on your carrier. Problem solved.

Answer by gemgem at 8:27 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Yes, I think it's completely acceptable. As long as they haven't been texting while driving, they won't mind.

Answer by missanc at 8:24 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Yes,
    I like the service that disables while driving.
    Why wouldn't you read them? You should know what your child is doing and saying.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:33 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Yes it is acceptable. I will when theyre older too. dd1 is 2 n dd1 is 7 months soooo. but yes, its totally ok
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 8:29 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I would say yes, but all she would have to say is that she pulled into a gas station parking lot or over onto the shoulder. Unless you're tailing her, you've got no way to prove or disprove that.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 8:54 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I have 4 grown children, 30, 29, 27, 23, who I still pose that question to! But they know it's out of love and concern for them. If my child at 17 was living at home and I was paying the car insurance, I'd certainly feel that it is my right to check. Who pays for the cell phone anyway? if it were me and he/she gave me reason to suspect texting while driving, first I would "spot check" every now and then; next I'd cancel the cell phone, if I was paying for it, or the car insurance if I found out my suspicions were correst..
    rosiemendo

Answer by rosiemendo at 8:33 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• No. I wouldn't. That's going to far, IMO. That said, at 17 you shouldn't be paying for their insurance or car either. If they want to drive, they can get themselves a job and pay for that right! But no, checking their phone for texts crosses a trust line.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:19 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• If the child is a minor, then yes I would to keep my self protected. If your child hits someone they will sue you for the damages. Chances are I will not be allowing my child to just drive for any purpose and they will not have a cell phone until they can pay for it and put it in their name.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:39 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• As long as you aren't reading the texts, I think that it is acceptable. Texting while driving is very dangerous and in many places, illegal. As parents, we have a responsibility to keep our children safe. We can't be with them all the time. Although it would be fantastic to believe that our children will always be honest, occasionally, they make poor choices.

You may want to tell them that random text checks will be made after they are out driving. Perhaps, attach a consequence if it is discovered that texts are being made while driving or if an attempt is made to cover it up such as losing parental-paid insurance or driving privileges.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 8:31 AM on Jun. 4, 2011