Why do you think it's such a stigma to let older kids have pacifiers?

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 9:02 AM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I would say it's because a paci is intended for babies and not older children. They are marketed and sold as a baby product and to me personally, I think babies are the only ones that need them--not older children. I don't mean to offend anyone, but when I see an older kid--say 4 or 5--walking around a grocery store with a paci in it's mouth, it makes me think that the parent lets the kid run all over them. That they take the path of least resistance and just let the kid have a binky because that's eaiser than taking it away. Sorry. Just being honest.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 9:14 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Same reason a 5 yr old in diapers is ridiculous. It's for an infant. Honestly makes me think the parent is lazy and just doesn't want to deal with the kid. They would rather let it have the paci than deal with getting rid of it. My sil daughter is 4 and still takes a paci, and an occasional bottle at bedtime. Her reason? The kid will cry and just won't have it if you take it away. Really? Who's the parent?
    Trinity001

Answer by Trinity001 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• its ridiculous to have a child older than 1 and a half witha paci. i personally dont let my kids keep one past 1 year old. they cant learn to talk as well or as quickly, they end up with dental problems and it can even affect their eating habits. honestly i think the only reason kids get to be older with a paci is because parents dont want to deal with the crying taking it away causes. not meaning to offend but this i what i honeslty believe.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 11:34 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My son didn't have one past 10 months. 1 year is our limit.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 9:43 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Well I found out that its of course bad for their teeth and lips. my daughter sucks her fingers and she will be turning 5 so i have a battle with that but their teeth will start to pull forward from sucking on that for so many months and years. good luck
    Michelle_kate

Answer by Michelle_kate at 10:11 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Because it's ridiculous to see a 2+ kid walking around that can't or won't talk because of the paci.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:31 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• It just looks SILLY! Not to mention it's bad for their teeth. If they're old enough to walk and talk, take that thing away! I agree with CaseyErin. I see an older kid walking around with a paci in it's mouth, and it makes me think that the child walks all over the parent. The parent gives into the child because it's easier than fighting with them. Which is gonna make for a super hard time later in life.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 10:42 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• For starters, it's bad for their speech and teeth. Secondly, it just looks ridiculous, considering they're meant for soothing infants.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I didn't know there was an age limit! LOL.
    My kids eithe didn't need a pacifier/Binky or they gave it up on their own. Anyway, I didn't have a Binky rule. I wouldn't be happy of one of my kids went to kindergarten sucking on a Binky....but I didn't worry about small issues like that. There ARE more important things. My second daughter never like a Binky--she sucked her fingers.My son just sucked his thumb after he was about two and gave up his Binky. .My oldest loved her Binky but she didn't develope an overbite.
    NONE of my kids developed Dental problems because of aBinky. Its NOT a big deal.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:15 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• http://www.saveyoursmile.com/parents/pacifiers.html

Here is an aticle about teeth and pacifiers.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pacifiers/PR00067

Another LINK.

minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:31 AM on Jun. 4, 2011