Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Has Anyone had their kids fathers parental rights terminated? what's the process???

My oldest daughters dad is not a good guy. so I just had him sign his Parental Rights over to me. what is the next step? what happens?? my youngest daughter im still with him and he's been a wonderful dad to my oldest which a matter of fact she knows him only as dad because i split with her real dad when she was real young. I just want to know if it's simple or harder then i think. He does have a bad criminal record under his name so that might make it simple? so my boyfriend now would like to get married and adopt and change her last name.

Answer Question

Asked by Michelle_kate at 10:06 AM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Adoption

Level 7 (167 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Yes, my husband adopted my dd. It varies by state, my state said no contact and no support for 2 years before beginning the process. It would be much easier if the bio dad is willing to sign off rights, otherwise get a lawyer and the process will most likely take a while.

    Answer by momov4kids at 10:09 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

  • if he's already signed his rights over you just need to file it with the court, can call the county court or a family law attorney to advise on how to do that... most attorneys will give a consultation for free..

    Answer by girlglow6 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

  • The first step is you will have to get married to show a stable in tact family. The NCP will have to have had no contact or paid no child support for 6 mths to a yr depending on your state. See a family lawyer and have them do the paperwork for the TPR and theyll serve your ex. He either will show or wont. Your lawyer will show the judge why you want a TPR and he has a chance to say why he does not want it if he shows up. Good luck.

    Answer by gemgem at 10:16 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

  • He can't just sign them over to you it has to be approved by a judge. If your talking about your hubby adopting your child then you need an attorney. A SW will come out and do a homestudy and talk to you, hubby, children and daughter's father. Hubby will need a fingerprint FBI background check, lawyer will file with the court and the judge can allow or deny the termination of parental rights and/or the adoption.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 12:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

  • thank you everyone!! I will let you know what happens. i go in on Monday.

    Comment by Michelle_kate (original poster) at 1:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

  • bump


    Answer by sherribeare at 12:41 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • yeah all these answers are true. i wish you luck with this

    Answer by amberpaiz at 12:41 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

  • Thank you Everyone

    Comment by Michelle_kate (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Jun. 6, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.