Do you sometimes think this is a popularity contest?

Sometimes I see that more than one person answer a question the same way, yet one person has several vote ups, but others have none. At first I thought it was just because the same answers were placed later, but then I noticed that sometimes it was a later responder that received several vote ups and the earlier answer received none. I have also noticed that one person might receive a vote down while others who gave the same response received vote ups. This made me wonder--is this section nothing but a popularity contest?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Jun. 4, 2011 in About CafeMom

• Not really, I just don't care for those insignificant votes up or down!

Answer by older at 10:46 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I haven't seen the Answers section that way. I saw that a lot more when I participated in some of the groups, though. I think that sometimes people see something that they agree with and it's the first or second answer so they vote it up and move on. Or maybe, they vote up the person who words their answers best/closest to what the person would have said themselves.
    kasey22

Answer by kasey22 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I don't pay too much attention to vote ups/downs, some people will agree, some disagree. I just answer the questions the way I see fit.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 10:54 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• no..but i do think there are pockets of time where the same like-minded posters will be online, and perhaps they unconsciously 'gang-up'. or perhaps they do it on purpose.
    it doesn't matter to me..i still have plenty of coffee to drink, and a nice cool house to drink it in!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:55 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Well I don't know about a popularity contest but I find with me that I usually vote up the same people all the time because they seem to respond exactly like I would have. There are a few ladies here regularly that I often say to myself, "she thinks just like me" LOL! Then again I don't like when there is a very rude answer & others jump on the nasty bandwagon when it is a legitimate question. I see that with specific responders here too. But all in all the "regular" ladies here seem to give very good advice & are very pleasant.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:01 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I dont know and really dont care? Its the internet. Not real life. I am more concerned with my real life then internet. I come here to pass time.

Answer by gemgem at 11:15 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I think sometimes you scan the answers, and honestly if I recognize the name I will read it,, and vote it up if I think it is good, sometimes it is hard to read every answer, also sometimes that changes the way you might answer one,, I don't stress to much on it,, I have my own vote down stalker, and whatever,, LOL. I answer because I enjoy it and I like to be of some help to people, at 44 and a life full of ups and downs, I hope I have something to offer, I wouldn't stress on it mamma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:29 AM on Jun. 4, 2011