Lunch ideas for summer day camps - outside?

My son is starting summer day camp at the YMCA on Monday and they said that the lunch that he brings everyday has to be safe for keeping in his backpack all day - OUTSIDE! Granted there is a shade/tent area up, but still in Texas it can get pretty hot and I'm scared of sending something that will make him sick.

Anyone have any solutions? During the school year his lunch would stay in his classroom with an icepack, so I didn't really worry too much about it getting warm. This is totally new to me and I want to make sure I don't sent something that will make him sick.

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

scaruso08

Asked by scaruso08 at 11:03 AM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Get one ot those lunch cooler things, you can put an ice pack in the bottom and he should be okay,, if you kid is like mine and has to have mayo get some packets they won't spoil. the cooler is smushie ( i am not sure that is a word) but can fit in a back pack!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:07 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• You can get an insulated lunch box to help and still use the ice pack. I would do Peanut butter and jelly, crackers, cheese, juice boxes obviously, cherry tomatoes stay good in warm weather as a good snack, whole fruit, packed rice meals stay good in warm weather so you can make say fried rice, and pack some tomatoes and it would be fine. Carrots also work. Apples. Any packed tuna lunches where it has the crackers with it. It stays in the container and he could open it when ready to eat. I also freeze things like yogurt, gogurts and what not because they melt and then are fine to eat.

Answer by gemgem at 11:11 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• lots and lots of ice packs, and those containers (like ziploc/rubbermaid) that have the built in ice packs on the lid !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Thanks! @gemgem - I've always heard "no dairy" in lunches, but if it is frozen (yogurt) it's fine? Are there certain kinds of cheese that are best? I know that with the white cheese sticks, if you leave them out of the fridge they get slimy....
    scaruso08

Comment by scaruso08 (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• add an ice pack to his lunch to keep cool. I do that for my girls during school. Peanut butter crackers, raisins, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, carrot or celery sticks, grapes, apples, graonal bars as soon as no chocolate, dunking crackers with cheese, dunkroos,cookies,chips, if a way to keep cold lunchables, juice boxs, strawberries, cheese crackers and can find all ready made since I would not trust reg. cheese,
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 11:24 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• PBJs, chips and salsa, peanut butter and celery
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 10:47 AM on Jun. 5, 2011