Work .... This is a long one, sorry

I have a boss who truly does not like me. Everyday I go to work and and I try my best in my head I think I am doing a good job, but my supervisor seems to be always putting me down and like picking on me. Yesterday she called me in her office 5 mins before I was to leave and and blamed me for something that was so outrageous it was like she pulled this accusation out of thin air. Then she hit me with my job performance basically sucks and I have animosity towards her and others if you knew my personality you would know that is crazy talk. I feel like I have to walk on eggshells around her. I can't quit cause I am the only one working full time but I feel lost. I came home one day 3 weeks ago after her screaming at me for giving her a call that the person specifically asked for her but it was to do with someone else and she screamed at me. She is Portuguese so am I too, but not full blooded like her and everyone else. I am the only one who does not speak it and when we are all together they all speak Portuguese knowing I don't. She had a summer party at her house last year and invited everyone in my department, some from another department, but not me. When someone asked if I was going I just acted like a knew nothing about it and I felt like I got a pity invite after someone said something to her. I came home and cried as soon as I got in the car and my 4 yr old was there and now he always asks, "Is your boss still mean to you mommy?" I know I have to find another job, but there are none out there and I feel lost. I am just so upset to think I am doing a good job and then find out I am actually doing a bad job. I am a people person and work as a secretary at a very busy orthopedic office. I get complements from all the patients all the time how friendly and nice and all the doctors like me that's why I just don't get it. Any advice?

RedDahlia82

Asked by RedDahlia82 at 11:15 AM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think you probably ARE doing a good job and your boss really just doesn't like you. There is prob nothing you can do. I would say document everything. Keep a record of it all. Does she have a supervisor you could speak with? I guess you could always talk to a lawyer about harrassmnet. Keep looking for another job. At least you have a sweet child to go home to!
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:20 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My husband is an orthotist, and they look for people all of the time to do what you do,, I don't know where you live, but medical secrataries are in demand,, start looking, call a head hunter,, you can't MAKE someone like you, and it will only get worse, I just quit a job, that my boss was awful to me all of the time, I almost started to believe it was me, but it wasn't good luck and I will keepyou in my prayers ( probably the fact others do like you is an issue.)
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:22 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I agree with Shanna! Also talk with the Dr.
    Is this a private practice? If so that means the dr is her boss and you can go over her head and tell him whats going on.
    Sorry you're going through this. I have an asshole for an assistant manager and we get into all the time about pretty much the same thing! Good luck and stay strong
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 11:27 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• you rocki would do all of the above! document and go to the Dr. She can not treat you like that. Keep doing a good job, stay strong. See a head hunter/job service. Will keep you in my prayers!! Vent here anytime!! We are here for you mama!!

mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 11:45 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• What is the authority structure in your office like? Who does your boss report to? I suspect that you really are a good employee, and I hope that you can get the recognition that you deserve.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 11:47 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• First: any time she wants to speak with you, request that someone from HR, or another manager, be present (this is your right)

Next, polish up your resume, and find a new job

Answer by rkoloms at 12:46 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Ditto rkoloms answer.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2011