Teeny tiny moths keep coming out of my pantry! Any ideas?

It is the weirdest thing, I open the pantry and this tiny moths (smaller than I have ever seen) come out. I took all the food ( mostly canned goods and rice unopened) and cleaned it out , threw away a box of pancake mix that was open but sealed. Anyway this morning, another moth? Any ideas what they are or where they come from, or how to get rid of them?

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 11:18 AM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Pantry moths are hatched eggs that were in your flours when you brought them home. Pretty much all flours & most grains have them, which is why you will sometimes find them in unopened packages. If you put your flours & grains in a freezer for 3 days before putting them on the shelf, the moths won't hatch. Any contaminated foods will, of course, need to be tossed, and then you should thoroughly scrub every nook & corner in your kitchen pantry before buying new.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 2:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• get rid of pasta, flour, sugar anything like that. if that does not help...call exterminator
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 11:21 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• also, I keep my flour, pancake mix, cornbread mix or anything like that in the freezer. It doesn't hurt it and it keeps "mealy bugs" out.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 12:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My stepmother accidentally brought in moths with some plants she brought in. Those things burrowed into almost EVERYTHING in the kitchen. They were way down deep in tupperware containers (the containers were clear, you could see them!) I agree with getting rid of your flours and sugars, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Thanks,, I did bring in plants a couple of weeks ago, but didn't put them in my pantry,,, I had no idea they could get into something unopened,, ugg, there goes my good rice a roni deal I just bought!
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 11:31 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Those things seem to be able to get into any packaged item even if it's never been opened. We had them and we didn't have or purchase any plants at the time. We have no idea where they came from. When we looked in a couple of items that had been opened, there were tons of em in the box, they breed quickley apparently. We threw out everything packaged (canned items dont count), then sprayed the cupboard with a good flying insect spray, and before we put anything back, we washed the cupboard down REALLY well with pine sol. We kept a close eye on it for awhile so if any other's appeared we could get rid of them immediately and anything we opened and didn't completely use up right away went into a tightly sealed container. Haven't had them since.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:51 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Do you have potatoes, onions or fruit or some other kind of vegetable in there? It sounds like fruit fly larvae recently hatched out. They can come in on any produce really.
    Set a little cup of sweet wine out...it attracts them and they will be gone overnight if you get rid of the item that they are living on. This is quite common actually. Mine tend to come in with oranges and potatoes.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 12:20 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Any food item boxed that is not in a sealable container can be infested by those bugs.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2011