Does your heating/cooling system include a heat pump?

We're looking to get a new furnace and a/c system to replace our old one. A heat pump was mentioned as an option to include in the system. Does your current system include a heat pump? Have you had problems with it? What type do you have? Would you recommend getting one or get another one next time you need to replace your system? Ultimately, do you like it?

Nonoluna

Asked by Nonoluna at 11:18 AM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We have central air units that have the heat element included, we have no option all units come like this.

Answer by older at 11:27 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Yes. Our's has a heat pump and according to most a/c people that have been here and my FIL who has some engineering knowledge..they've all said "heat pumps work more efficiently". We don't intend to change either. Yes, we like ours just fine.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 11:38 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My fiance does HVAC. He syas they are a great option and can save money. He didn't say anything about problems with them. He said he didn't think you can add them to an existing system, you would have to get a new system.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:45 AM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Neighbors have one - he installs that stuff for a living - and they've had problems with theirs. DH's neice & nephew installed one last year and it was okay, they said if they could go back in time they wouldn't have gone with it. DH's cousin has had one for a couple of years, and this past winter it didn't work more often than it did work. They hate it. All 3 are in different areas, different brands, installed by different people. But all 3 stories are enough to make me want to never get one. We have a regular central a/c unit, and a gas furnace (propane) and if we have to replace, we'll replace with something equal, no heat pumps here.
    Anonymous

• My understanding on heat pumps is that they take the warmth out of the outside air and cycle it over coils and pump it into your house. And that they work best in warmer southern climates. I live in FL and pretty much anyone that has central A/C has a heat pump in it. But we were told that they can only warm the inside air so many degrees warmer than the outside air. Like when it gets 30 degrees here (which isn't often), the heat pump can run and run, but it can only do so much to make it warm inside. Although I will admit that I like to keep the thermostat on 76 in the winter and so trying to get the system to make the air 46 degrees warmer inside is not possible. But they are efficient.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2011