Texas governor orders STD vaccine for all girls Decision comes after maker of cervical cancer shot doubled lobbying efforts

AUSTIN, Texas — Bypassing the Legislature altogether, Republican Gov. Rick Perry issued an order Friday making Texas the first state to require that schoolgirls get vaccinated against the sexually transmitted virus that causes cervical cancer.

By employing an executive order, Perry sidestepped opposition in the Legislature from conservatives and parents’ rights groups who fear such a requirement would condone premarital sex and interfere with the way Texans raise their children.

Beginning in September 2008, girls entering the sixth grade — meaning, generally, girls ages 11 and 12 — will have to receive Gardasil, Merck & Co.’s new vaccine against strains of the human papillomavirus, or HPV.

Perry also directed state health authorities to make the vaccine available free to girls 9 to 18 who are uninsured or whose insurance does not cover vaccines. In addition, he ordered that Medicaid offer Gardasil to women ages 19 to 21.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16948093/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/t/texas-governor-orders-std-vaccine-all-girls/

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 11:39 AM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• You have a legitimate point about Perry, but the content of the question is lost when your source is a 4 year old article. Maybe it would have gotten a different response if you were to have posted who the players were and the executive order he signed mandating the vax (noting that it was overturned by the state legislature).

FWIW, I didn't say you hated him, just that you might not like him. 

As for Perry and his decision, I really don't know what was at the heart of the whole thing.  I don't know if he really had the concern of women's health at heart, or if there was a payoff involved (strictly because it's politics).  He should have expected the response he got, especially considering that the vax was new.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:32 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Glad I don't live in Texas. I wonder how long it will be before they try and take away and opt-out provisions too. This just goes to show how politicians are in the pockets of the pharmacutical companies, it's about money not health.

"Most insurance companies now cover the vaccine, which has been shown to have no serious side effects."

Guess they forgot about the perfectly healthy women who died suddenly within hours of being given that innoculation.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 12:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Please notice the date on the link:  updated 2/3/2007 1:00:35 PM ET 2007-02-03T18:00:35

He may have signed an executive order but the state legislature took him to task and overturned it:

Roughly 60 state lawmakers called on Perry to rescind the order. He refused. Just six weeks after Perry put pen to paper, the Texas House rebuked him on March 14, 2007, passing HB 1098, overturning his executive order by a vote of 119-21. The Senate followed suit the following month by a vote of 30-1.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I am not a fan of any REQUIRED vaccinations. I vaccinate because I want too. I still have some issues with the vaccines themselves..they need to clean them up...get the nasty crap out.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• WOW! I thought Reps were for small government, personal responsibility and letting individual people and parents make such decisions? It is odd to me that of all the areas this group feels the need to interject authority, it's woman's health issues. No, I do not want the state deciding what I need to inject into my body or the body of my daughter. Classic, they could not care less if all Americans have affordable HC, yet they want to mandate medical treatments- Baloney!
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Perry is an ass! Guess he doesn't care about how many young girls Gardasil has killed. Screw Gov. Perry.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• She doesn't need to since it's not a law. The Texas legislature went around his executive order to stop it. Perry caught a lot of flack for that (all deserved).   This all happened over 4 years ago. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:41 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I'm from Texas. I read the newspapers and watch the news and have yet to hear anything about this. Thanks for shareing this is now something I will be looking into being that I have a 12yr old daughter. When she recieved her shots last yr befor starting 6 th grade we were asked if we wanted her to recive the vaccine. I told them no, because I felt I wanted to learn more about it befor injecting it into my child's body. I guess now that it's required...What would happen if I decide not to do it?
    Jacqalyn

Answer by Jacqalyn at 12:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• The reason this has made the news again is because it looks like he's getting ready to throw his hat into the ring for president. This decision will come back to haunt him if he does since republicans will demand to know his reasoning behind this very liberal decision. I highly doubt any of the American people will be shocked to learn Merck donated to his campaign fund around the same time and that one of the main lobbyists in Texas was his former chief of staff.
    PTmomma3

Answer by PTmomma3 at 5:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• WOw....Perry is the Republican fave down south. I can't believe he is acting like a LIBERAL!!! Govenrment mandate that girls need to be vaccinated against the herpes virus. Wow....I am amazed. The vaccine is new and they probably haven't tested it yet.And 12 - 13 years old? Isn't that a bit young? Or do all girls have sex at a very young age in Texas? THAT is what he seems to be saying.....
    What a jerk.
    My kids were vaccinated when they were babies and I just had a few boosters myself ...so I am not against vaccinations (and I don't vaccinate ,, because I let the Doctors do that. They are trained. LOL )
    However,THIS vaccine sounds scary.
    My kids are adults now,thank gooness.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2011