MIL is getting your baby can read for 10 month old DS and I just wanted to know

He is 10 months old and he really likes having books read to him and is always looking through his board books on his own and turning the pages to his favorite pictures.

I was just wondering what other people's experiences were with the program(I mean yeah I've seen the infomercials,but everything looks good on the infomercials that's why they exist) especially with children that young and those that might be gifted?

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 12:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• It doesn't work. IMO I would much rather my kids go play and color, rather than be made to sit and watch their movies 2 times a day, my ds watched the movies until he was mobile, then there was no keeping him interested. Just keep reading to him...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I think it's a crock of poop
    babygirl5151999

Answer by babygirl5151999 at 12:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• It's a memorization program and is not worth a penny. Nothing fosters good reading skills in children more than reading to them often.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 12:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I just figured that it can't hurt and she wants to do it I didn't ask. I also would never make him watch them and he can get up and turn off the TV on his own anyway to tell us that he's done watching and I'm fine with listening when he does.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 12:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I thought reading was a form of memorization? You know memorizing letters,sounds etc...
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Why would you want your infant to read anyway? So you can brag about it on facebook?
    Anonymous

• Wow anonymous internet posts bring out interesting things in people. I was reading when I was 3 and I loved it. I loved that when I got to kindergarten I could read something more interesting then The Foot Book. He already loves to have things read to him and to look at the books on his own.
    He seems to get a big sense of accomplishment from doing things by himself it just seems like this might give him one just like when he learned to crawl or was so excited when he learned how to stand that his clapping knocked him over.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 12:54 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• If your MIL wants to do this I wouldn't stand in he way. We never got that kind of stuff for my kids and I'm not regretting it at all. My son LOVED being read to as a baby/toddler. He actually taught himself to read when he was 4 years old. He had also read almost all of the Magic Treehouse books before he'd started kindergarten. This year he's read the Percy Jackson series' and has just started Harry Potter. Kids are little for JUST a short period of time. LET them be little.

Two songs come to mind in regards to kids being little: Let Them Be Little and The Logical Song.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:16 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Tell her not to throw away her money on that program. It's a scam. If she wants to spend money on him, tell her to buy him some more books that you can continue reading to him. That program is nothing but a con designed to get money from overachieving parents.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 1:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Tell her to save her money, and get him regular books, both for now and for when he's older. That "program" is the biggest crock of bs. The infomercials look good because that's what they are - infomercials. How many other products look sooooo good in the infomercials and when you get them they're piles of wasted money?
    Anonymous