What can you do if you think your child gets car sick?

Just wondering what to do about my 2 year old little girl. She was only in the car 20 minutes a few days ago and got sick. Then yesterday we went on a little family drive and she got sick again within the hour. My first thought is that it was because I had given her some milk to drink earlier and it was on a warm day (both days)...but we've only been around the 70s lately. She's the only one out of my four that seems to have a sensitive tummy in the car. Any suggestions?

Work for yourself...not by yourself http://www.internetceomoms.com/tools4mom

tools4mom

Asked by tools4mom at 12:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My oldest child gets car sick. He will overheat sometimes, even if the car just seems a little warm to me. So when it's in the 70's and above I take care to keep him cool. He is also old enough to take ginger pills for longer, and often curvy drives in/through the mountains. But he is 13 not a toddler and he didn't have the problem as young.

Talk to the pediatrician. There might be something aside you can do for her, aside from keeping her cool, but for medications she is still really young.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My brother, works in a pediatrician's office, and he told me to keep a window cracked so they can get fresh air. It's an idea. I can't sit in the back seat because I get car sick too.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 12:22 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My son gets car sick sometimes..i just try to keep the window cracked. I always make sure i have a bag and a change of clothes. I would also watch what she eats.before she goes for a drive. Also i think they can take dramamine but i would ask the doctor first for the.extra.long trips.
    mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• dont feed them with in an hour of a drive....
    Dork4Fish

Answer by Dork4Fish at 12:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I got car sick as a child and still do. Do you still rear face? Growing up, my aunt had one of those station wagons that had the third row seat that faced backwards and I could never sit in that seat as it made it worse. Closing my eyes makes it worse as well. If you still ERF, ask the doctor what you can do as part of the issue with motion sickness is that your eyes do not match what you are feeling (which is why sitting in the middle where it is easiest to look out the front works so well). Sucking on mints always helped me as well, but I think 2 is a little young for that. Also, cracking the window for fresh air does help a bit.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I've had tried dramamine, the bracelets, everything! It used the be the only thing I could do is lay down, close my eyes and pray I don't puke all over the place. For me, it helped having the air conditioner on instead of having a window cracked in the summers because it got too dang hot.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Is she FF or RF? Try the other way. Does she watch movies or read books? Some studies showed that looking around at the passing scenery for the first 20 minutes helps, because of the momentum - if a child feels they're moving, but doesn't see it, they're more likely to get sick. Keep the vehicle cool. Try sitting by her - that way if she does get sick you can hold a bucket or something for her to vomit into.
    Anonymous

• Get some motion sickness bracelets. Have her sir in the middle, and maybe suggest she close her eyes... Maybe because she is watching thing zoom by her outside she is getting sick...
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:46 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My girls do not get car sick all the time. Try to limit what they eat when traveling, open the window, have them be able to see outside,car sickness medicine might work, those sickbands. I do not give milk on hot days and limit that to bedtime in the summer, could be an ear ache, my girls when they have a cold they would get sick. I now carry extra clothes and even old buckets in the van for just in case
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Thanks for all the great advice. She is front facing now. I didn't have the window cracked so I'll give that a try for sure. I don't dare give her any kind of meds yet unless Dr. recommended because she's barely two. :0)

tools4mom

Comment by tools4mom (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2011