Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How does it work when you get married and have to have your taxes done?

Stupid question--I got married 3 days ago. I have a 14 year old daughter and no kids w/ my current hubby. He owns his own house. How do we do our taxes next year? I want to file separately from him because I will be getting money back and he will probably have to owe, plus he wants to claim his house and I don't care about that. So how do I file? Thanks!


Asked by emmyandlisa at 12:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 26 (28,290 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • My husband and I usually file jointly, but with zero deductions. But it depends on what is best in your situation. It sounds like if you file alone you can claim your daughter, and he can claim his house, which will probably be better in the long run. What I would do is have them checked filing jointly, and then filing separately and see which one benefits you guys the most. My husband usually runs it both ways each year just to see which way is better.

    Answer by Lynda-Lou at 1:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

  • Now that you are married, it will probably be better to file jointly, when you are married you have a higher tax penalty to file seperately. You may be suprised that owning a house does not for sure mean you will owe, I would say that you probably should talk to an accountant to see what they suggest, but in my experience it is almost ALWAYS better to file jointly. congrats on the marriage,, 3 days and your already worried about taxes,, LOL!

    Answer by kimigogo at 1:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

  • I am a worry-wart lol!

    Comment by emmyandlisa (original poster) at 1:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

  • Have them done professionally - the person can work them up different ways (seperate, jointly, etc) and determine what would be the smartest way to do it.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

  • You can do your taxes, for free, online. Do them both ways, and see which way is advantageous to you.

    Answer by rkoloms at 2:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

  • Purchase Turbo Tax or hire an accountant to help.

    Answer by tasches at 7:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2011