weening off formula??

How did u all ween your kids from fromula to milk???

ToberzMama

Asked by ToberzMama at 10:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we took them off a formula bottle replaced it with milk every 2 days or so til we were down to just milk. We got the ok to do this at 11 months had them on sippy cups at 12 months
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 10:45 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• well i breastfed and i remeber feeding her my milk and then introducing her to the cows milk,..she took to it if i gave her a little amount of breastmilk and then alot of cows milk.
    amysmomma505

Answer by amysmomma505 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• i just started giving her milk (from Breastmilk, not formula), and it clicked instantly. have you tried it yet, or just a little worried when you do?
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:52 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• We tried switching our first cold turkey, but he didn't care for the taste of the cows milk. So we had to give him 50/50 bottles for a day or 2. He was fine after that.

Our daughter loved the cows milk and the cold turkey worked for her.

The only thing you can do is give it a try :0)
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I starte by giving my kids 50/50 water and milk and gradually incresed the milk over water, til it was just milk
    Wolfmother

Answer by Wolfmother at 11:01 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Both boys were just cows milk in a sippy instead of formula, cold turkey. They were used to the sippy cups so they had no problems giving up the bottle (however the night time bottle was the last to go). I had both weaned before they were 13 mo. old from formula and bottle.
    Anonymous

• With KaVaughn I asked this same question to his PEDs. 1st when he turned 11 months old I started giving him 2 oz of milk & 6 oz of formula. The next week it was 4 oz of milk & 4 oz of formula. 3rd week 6 oz of milk & 2 oz of formula this way by the week of his 1st Birthday, he was exposed to enough of the regular milk that it didn't upset his stomach. He had already knew what it tasted like & we really didn't have any problems switching him over like that. I hope this helps.

~*~Holli~*~
    MsWood729

Answer by MsWood729 at 7:55 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• We didn't start until the day after her birthday, and still had her off in a week and a half. Her b-day was on a Sunday. On Monday & Tuesday we left her bottles alone (3 6oz bottles per day, when waking in AM and after each nap, none at bedtime), but let her have whole milk in her sippy cup at mealtime. She was already used to the sippy cup from juice and water. Starting on Wednesday we swapped out the lunchtime bottle of formula for a cup of milk. Saturday we swapped out the dinnertime bottle. I kept up the first AM bottle until I ran out of formula, which was the following Wednesday. Thursday we started with milk in the AM and haven't looked back since.
    lizzyb5280

Answer by lizzyb5280 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2008