What drastic steps have you had to take to keep up financially?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Money & Work

• barrow the money for my house payment from my BIL. It was Really embarrassing, because when we bought our house all of my in laws had little faith in us being able to afford it.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 10:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I have no television, phone, cell phone, internet (This is my parents) I got on food stamps because i'm elgible. We never go shopping anymore...like never. No lie. I'd say that's pretty drastic for the average family..Most people have those even in hard times they will still find a way to keep their internet tv or something! lol We gave it all up.
    Anonymous

• I ride my bike a lot!! wooo hooo!!! my crotch was on fire for a bit in the beginning, but we save gas. no more eating out (1x every 2 months)

I buy diapers in bulk, cut back of groceries (fruit prices have gone way up in supermarkets, as have couscous)
    Our A/C and heating is not being run, unless necessary. We dont' have TV anyways, and only pay for cable internet connection, but I wish we could cancel our cells.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I have cut back on pretty much everything. We do eat out a couple times a month because the dollar menu costs a lot less than groceries sometimes! But we cut back on groceries, I don't dry clean my clothes anymore, my heater goes no higher than 68, I only have 17 cable channels! I stretch and ration everything, turn my shampoo bottles upside down and squeeze the toothpaste tube to death! lol.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 12:01 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• cut out all the unnecessary things and just yesterday, i actually visited several churches in my area asking for help (it SUCKED but we are desperate!!) Most said they were out of funds, just like the Salvation Army did but one church is donating $25 which I get to pick up tomorrow. These times are so hard.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 6:38 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• btw, I still have internet because I do much of my job searching there. All I want right now is a job. That is my priority.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 6:39 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I cut my cable bill by getting rid of a bunch of channels. I cut insurance for the car by shopping around saved $147 between the two insurance policies. I clip coupons and shop sale flyers more religiously. I shop for food 1 time a week only and buy little else. I only drive the kids to school and my one shopping trip so a full tank of gas gets me through almost the whole month. We never go out to eat. I seldom buy new clothing or shoes unless clearly needed.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 7:53 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• well when we were station overseas we saved alot of money and paid off all but one credit card. like ripping off a bandaid...we have tv,internet,prepaid phone (those are the best!no contract pay as you go) i do admit though that we dont have any debt now and it was hard and there was times that all we had for the week was hamburger helper but it was worth it cause now we are just finish paying off our last credit card bill last month and now we can live comfortable and save... we havent felt this pince that the news people keep talking about..
    ammowife2004

Answer by ammowife2004 at 7:58 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• I have started clipping coupons and comparing sales ads. You would be suprised how many things you can get free or next to free by combining coupons with sales. I don't buy anything unless it is on sale or I have a coupon or both! We are also eating out less and I haven't bought new clothes in well over 6 months.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Me and my husband have had to pawn items in the house to barrow money. Even my ring which he had a angry fit.
    momma-misha

Answer by momma-misha at 10:58 AM on Dec. 10, 2008