When should the bottle be gone?

When Should I start taking my dd off the bottle shes 10m. she can drink out of a sippy but doesn't like it and she gets mad, until I give her a bottle. I am taking her off formula when she turns one.

robinalbright

Asked by robinalbright at 10:46 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• With my first, we started offering him a sippy with meals at 1 year old. He took to it one night and never took a bottle again. I think he was about 14 months old.

Just start offering her one, don't make a big deal out of it, and eventually she'll give it up. I'm not big on pushing kids to do anything.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 10:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• we started wenning milk at 11 months doc said it was fine. also the dog kept eatting there bottles so i said if they eat these that is it. so at 12 months if not a lil sooner i didnt buy another bottle..they are happy now.
    we have the straw ones and love it...it was also recamened by the doc.
    sorry bad spelling
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 10:48 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I think the bottle should be gone by 12 months. I started giving my daughter a cup at 4 months she gave up the bottle on her own at 10 months
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:59 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Well, that is really up to you. Some kids are more dependent on their bottles than others. I would suggest taking his bottle when you start taking him off formula. I'm sure you will wean him off the formula, so I would do the same with the bottle. Offer it lesser and lesser until it's gone!
    lanesmommy08

Answer by lanesmommy08 at 11:09 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Zach nurses, but I would give him juice/water in a bottle. At 9 mos I gave him a straw cup and he did very well with it. So he was off the bottle at 9 mos, but I still nurse him. My oldest DS' ped told us he should be off the bottle by 15 months and that's when I stopped with him. I think it's easier for some than others.

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 11:11 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• i know i'll prolly get bashed for this..lol..but whatever!! my daughter was on formula until she was 1 yr..then she was on whole milk for pretty much another year..once she started real milk she only ever got a bottle at bedtime, so i didnt think it was that bad..but according to lotsa ppl on here theyre totally against that..lol..but, my daughter liked it..other kids have soothers, or blankies or whatever..my daughter liked her bedtime bottle..she never had a soother..and my dr said it was ok for her to still have the bottle, becuz kids that young need the "sucking motion" that a bottle offeres..im also against sippy cups..theyre just glorified bottles..and never gave my daughter ones of those..they make teeth grow in funny..and really..if theyre old enuff to NOT have a bottle..then theyre old enuff to drink outta a regular cup!! but thats MYYY opinion
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• There is no set time of when a child is suppose to be off the bottle. Actually, there was a study just done by the AAP in California and something like 40% of 2 year olds still have their bottle. My son is 2.5 years old and still uses his for milk but only milk. I don't see the point in taking it away since 1) he will not drink milk out of anything else 2) it comforts him and 3) sippys are just grown up versions of the bottle, they are really no different.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:43 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• We tossed all bottles the same day we switched to milk. About 11months or so. She fussed for a couple hours cause she wanted the bottle back. We didn't give in though and she has been fine ever since!!

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 10:22 AM on Dec. 10, 2008