Stealing Photos on FB

Would you be mad if someone stole a photo you posted on facebook and put it in their own photo album? Even if its a pic of a family member they are related to?

I have a picture of my FIL on my FB and his ill-legitimate daughter stole his picture and put it in her album. Its a bit irritating to say the least. Isn't this copy write infringement?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 1:11 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Relationships

• If you took the photo then you technically have rights to it. If you did not take the photo you really don't. For any photo I add to a public site I add a personal watermark to keep it from becoming public domain. Personally, I think if she wanted the photo she should have asked for it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• No. It is not. If you do not want the pictures out there, do not post them.
    He had the illegitimate relationship not her.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• theres no copyright for your personal fb photos...

but why would you get upset if his illegitamate daughter copied a photo of her own father... maybe its the only one she has, and thats the only way she could get it.. why not send her a message and ask her not to do anymore..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I personally would be honored if someone wanted any of my pictures.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I dunno if it is copy right infringement since there was no copy right per-say... There should be a way to disable the right click option in the photos!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• This isn't quite the same, but a few years ago, my cousin stole my pics off fb, printed them, and framed them for our grandparents for Christmas - I didn't know about it til we were there and my mom said "Where'd they get those pictures of your kids?". She (cousin) said "I got them off of facebook", she didn't think it was any big deal at all. I was PISSED and blocked that set of cousins from seeing any more of my pictures. You could always use the contact us option and ask fb bigwigs about it.
    Anonymous

• If you post it on FB you are pretty much giving up your right to the photo. Are you friends with this woman? If not, change your settings that only friends can see your photos. If you want more protection, you can set groups for your friend list and only allow certain groups to see certain things that you post. In addition, you can block her from seeing anything you post.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Its published on a public website so considered copyrighted.
    SalemWitchChild

Comment by SalemWitchChild (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• No if she wants a picture of her father and this is the only way to get it, than why not.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 1:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Or in the future (I haven't gotten around to it yet) you can make your own watermark, put it on every picture you post, a copyright, that way it WOULD be illegal for anyone to snag your pics.
    Anonymous