What's the best way to transition from a crib to a toddler bed??

I need some suggestions on how to transition my daughter from her crib to a toddler bed...I tried it today and she just didnt like it....She might be in a bad mood today because she's sitting in her crib screaming and that hardly ever happens at naptime...I dont know where to start...I dont wanna mess things up by putting her in the bed and because she freaks out I turn right around, comfort her and then put her in her crib....I dont remember having these problems with my boys but I think they were ready considering they tried to climb out all the time.

armywife2bnm

Asked by armywife2bnm at 1:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son was in a toddler bed by the time he was 10 months. Same thing...learned how to climb out. Actually...he body rocked the crib so hard it eventually loosened, and was no longer safe!

I have tried putting my daughter in a toddler bed twice now. (she's 22 months) The first time, she did the toddler bed thing for about 6 days. It got to the point where I was putting her back in bed over 10 times in the first hour. The second time I tried to put her in the toddler bed, she screamed til I put the crib back up.

If there are no issues with safety, I don't really see the point in forcing it.

I'm not trying again until she either learns how to climb out, or she's too big. If she's safe, she can sleep in it!
    mommydinasaur

Answer by mommydinasaur at 4:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• We're going to transition our son by using supernanny's "stay in bed technique" which is just telling the child what is expected of them at the beginning of the bed time routine (that you want them to stay in their bed and go to sleep just like any other night) and then go through your routine as usual. The first time the get up you say "Bed time Darling" and put them back. The second time, you say "bedtime" in a firm voice and put them back. After the third time, you say nothing and put them back. It may take a few times and some late nights but eventually they understand that they are going to lose and go to sleep on their own.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 7:59 PM on Jun. 6, 2011

• Is the bed in the middle of the room or up against the wall? If it is in the middle of the room, she may be afraid of both sides being open. Move the bed to a wall, even a corner with top and side next to walls and put a bed rail on the open portion of the bed. She may feel safe and want to sleep in the bed. After she is used to the bed remove the rail and see how that goes.
    nova.mommy

Answer by nova.mommy at 12:06 PM on Jun. 7, 2011