Formula feeding at baby friendly hospitals

I you might be delivering at one so what advice do you have for women who plan on formula feeding(it's not my first baby I already know that I don't want to)?
I read that it might be good to bring a big box of the little 2 ounce bottles sound logical to you ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Any advice on dealing with pushy lactation consultants would be good too.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Take the little 2 oz bottles that sounds good... Put a sign on the door that says Formula Fed Only.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:24 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My hospital provided us with prefilled bottles of formula. i would call and ask if your hospital does the same. If they do not, I would bring the bottles.

If a pushy consultant walks in, tell them you aren't interested and push the call bell for the nurse and ask her to be removed from your room.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I agree with PP, don't let one of those consultants stay around. If they don't leave as soon as you tell them to, have them removed and not allowed back in your room. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I asked my friend who is a nurse and she said also that when you check in make sure the nurse on duty writes it on your chart that you plan to formula feed and do not want to see a Lactation consultant unless you request it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• the hospital here doesnt send a consultant unless u are breastfeeding...no point otherwise and they also provide the pre-filled glass bottles.
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I ff my first and bfd my second. I would recommend trying to bf for the one day you are in the hospital. Each child is different and the bfing experience is different w each also. If you font want to bf at all, just bring some bottles and formula in case the hospital doesn't have what you want.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 1:46 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Do what is right for you. If you don't want to BF, the don't. Seriously bloomsr, she said she knows what she wants to do so why tell her to do otherwise? I hope you have a safe delivery and a healthy baby.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 1:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Baby friendly means that they don't provide formula without it being a medical need. While I define the psychological health of the mother as a need apparently that's not one of the need criteria for them.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• What if you tried it once then said nope this isnlt working for me? would they still refuse to give your baby formula? I'm sure you would bring it but I'm just wondering. The hodpital I go to even asks what brand you use and they give you that brand. I just can't wrap my head around that...it would be like telling you oh sorry we won't feed you unless there is a medical need to. I know that's extreme but wow!
    happymama02

Answer by happymama02 at 3:12 PM on Jun. 4, 2011