What do I do when he does this?

He's not quite a year old yet but we've been trying to set more boundaries and tell him no for things like grabbing glasses or climbing things.
He laughs in my face and goes back to doing it or throws a tantrum a really big 15-30 minute one. Now what? His Father already tried swatting his hand and he doesn't seem to get it quite yet.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 1:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• Keep swatting and be consistent. He will get the idea.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• No hitting!!! Do time outs and be consistent! They work!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:52 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• How do you get him to stay in time out? He can climb out of his crib.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Swat his hand & tell him no in a stern voice with a mean face.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 2:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Lizzie you make a spot and pick him up say Mommy wants you to sit here for 1 minute, and if he gets up take him right back, and say 1 minute, the first few times he will try to wear you down, so it may take 15-20 times, but pretty soon he will get the hang of it. I used to tell my son for example, mommy said don't touch the glasses, ( he laughs does it again),, me-Mommy said dont; touch the glasses, if you do it again time out for you ( he does it) then I would take him to the step ( that was my spot) and say Mommy will sit your here for 1 minute your not to touch the glasses again, and at first he would scream, cry, but I just kept putting his behind on the step, and now he is 6 and if he is bad,, 6 minutes on the step, and no problems,, we have not had a time out in quite awhile (fingers crossed) good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• We use a 3 step approach: 1) Calmly but firmly say "Don't touch mama's glasses" 2) quickly distract ie:"Here's a book - let's read" repeat this 2-3 times if needed. If he's just stubborn, put him in time-out (tough at this age, but some kids get it). If he get's up, just keep putting him back there. It takes a long time for them to learn the lesson, and he'll probably test you to see if it's okay again and again. Just be consistent.

BTW, we're working on NOT hitting right now (and I'm sure you will too eventually) so I'd recommend against slapping him as punishment or he'll just think it's okay to hit when he's mad.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 3:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Be firm and mean it! He can tell you are equivocating (that is why he laughs). The tantrums are his way of testing the waters to manipulate you. Either ignore him, redirect his attention, or take away a toy he likes and hide it for a few hours.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2011