Fact or Fishtail? Multiples.

I was talking to a girl who told me that multiples run in her family. Every woman in her family, except for her mom has had twins or more. Some of her aunts and cousins have conceived 4, 6 and even 8 babies all naturally (no invetro), though nothing more than triplets have survived. She also said that all the multiples were conceived when the woman were older in their reproductive age.

Does that sound real? Is it possible? It sounds really interesting to me.

Shanna84

Asked by Shanna84 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Everyone in my family has had twins. Usually they were over 40 when they had their twins. Multiples are more common over 40 for sure. I don't know about being pregnant with 8 naturally though. That part sounds like crap to me!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:48 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• It sounds real... Fraternal twins can run string in families. It means the women ovulate more than one egg per cycle. Plus the 'risk' of twins goes up with age...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:46 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Yeah okay I don't fully buy 4,5,8.... I was thinking she meant that many kids total not in one pregnancy...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• but_mommie is right...fraternal twins DO run in families and I have heard of several families that are just rampant with twins. Of course, I know plenty more families that are rampant with exaggerations, too.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 1:53 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Considering how rare triplets are, I don't believe these women conceived litters without drugs to ovulate that many times in a cycle.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Doubles come from sperm. You drop several eggs. It is his sperm that fertilizes the eggs. That' how it "runs" in families. If he has determined sperm, watch out~!!

ann666

Answer by ann666 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Who knows? Twins run in my family. We have had at least 3 sets in every generation. I have a set of twin boys, my brother has a set, one boy one girl, and my sister is 39 weeks pregnant with twin girls. Triplets run in my DH side of the family and his aunt has quints. You never know what's possible!
    ValMommy17

Answer by ValMommy17 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Fraternal twins run in my family because the women in my family occationally release 2 or more eggs in one month. There is a medical term for it but I cant remember what it is.

We have only had up to triplets in our family but I have heard of cases where more were concieved naturally. Obviously it is rare but it has happened.

I remember one story about quints I think it was that were born a LONG time ago. The mother kept them alive by keeping them warm near the stove. I think only a couple ended up making it but this was before IVF was even around.

Also women are MORE likely to release more than one egg if they are of advance maternal age, overweight, or if it runs in the family.
    Anonymous

• Anon...I think the term is "hyper-ovulation". I've never had twins, but with fraternal twin brothers they have warned me of the risk. And you're right...that is what gets passed through the families...the trait of dropping more than one egg.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• His aunt conceived the quints via IVF, and one was stillborn,  but the triplets and twins in our families have all been concieved naturally. 

ValMommy17

Answer by ValMommy17 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2011