I need help already! lol~~breastfeeding question #1

Okay, so I'm trying to breastfeed exclusively...so far everything is going pretty good...well sort of good lol...

Sonny nurses ALL DAY LONG lol...if he's awake, he's on my boobies...he nurses for awhile and then falls asleep on my boob, he wakes up after about 10 minutes or so then starts nursing again...if I try to take him off he starts crying, no matter how gently I try to remove him, so because of this he can literally be latched on for HOURS...I'm wondering how to keep him from falling asleep...so that we can establish more of a feeding pattern and not just..him hanging off my boobs all day long lol

P.S. I want to TRY not to use pacifiers....but I will if this situation don't get better! lol

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 2:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both my girls were "perma-latched" until at least six weeks- the older went 3 months like that, then I went back to work. DD2 I went back earlier, so that may have shortened the time. Honestly, since I knew I would need to pump, I didn't try to discourage it because I wanted a slight oversupply to work with. Plus letting them set their own routine is just easier, or it was for me. Enjoy the ability to say "you take care of it honey, I'm feeding the baby" ;P
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:11 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• not a BFing-nazi or even pretend to be one, so i'm no help here.
    just wanted to say, ''CONGRATS! on the new baby!'' (been gone a week or so, so i missed your announcement, if you made one.)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:35 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Oh, and way to go with choosing to breastfeed!!!!!!!
    Naplesmommy03

Answer by Naplesmommy03 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• He's newborn? This is normal for a newborn, and will change as he gets older. I would just go with it for now.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• i used pacifiers... if you use one, when u take him off quickly put a pacifier in his mouth.. if u dont use one IDK lol... sorry
    Anonymous

• No pacifier! It will confuse him. That was one of my biggest mistake. Have you tried stripping him down to his diaper?
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Have you joined the Breast Feeding Group?
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 2:41 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Hey hey no tellin her NO pacifier.. its her baby if she wants to she can lol.. It didnt confused my kids at all.. the SUCKING part of it COMFORTS them.. just like when hes breast feeding.. babies do know the difference if he is still hungry the baby will not take the pacifier.... But yes lucky if your breast feeding for a lil while and he falls asleep.. wake him up.. talk to him rub his cheeks. his feet . he will eat more and you will be better off too.. are you sure ur making enough milk?? My son would eat and eat and eat. for some reason my milk wouldnt fill him up so i kept him on breast milk and just added a few formula bottles during the day.
    Anonymous

• He is still pretty tiny huh? Yeah, they tend to be constant nursers! In a few weeks he will start to be a wake more and you can get him on a good routine of eat play (maybe eat again at this point for a few months) then go to sleep and repeat and he won't be such a little leach anymore! lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Congrats on the baby by the way! I didn't realize you had him!! :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:46 PM on Jun. 4, 2011