Do you have any feelings towards the feminist movement?

do you think the world is finally evening out in terms of women's rights...
or do you think women still need to either go on strike or unite to make a point...
i DO know more women are going to college (thank god) so hopefully we will get paid more in the future? what do u think
i put this in health since mentally all the discrimination still rattles my nerves!

lizzybee44

Asked by lizzybee44 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't consider myself a feminist because I believe that there are inherent differences in the genders. Such as, I believe that if women want to be in the military, police force or fire department they should be required to take and pass all of the same tests as men. This means not lowering the standards for women to be able to pass but the same exact requirements for both. I also do not think that these types of organizations should be required to accept a set number of female applicants.
    Yes, I know, time for my vote downs.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 3:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• i don't consider myself a feminist at all. I went to college and make way more than my educated husband. i had a womens studies course in college and i completely, 100%, disagreed with just about every topic.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 3:16 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• ~*Honestly*~... the women's movement makes me laugh!!! My aunt is in her 70s, and she once told me that women would have it a lot easier if they would have shut their damn mouths. I was shacked and asked what she meant... she explained, that because a few neonazi-fems decided to pretend that a house wife is an abusive place for a woman, and she must not be educated if she is a SAHM, that they take it on themselves to speak for all women... and now women who actually want to be and enjoy being well educated SAHMs are looked down on because they don't have a job. In a way I can see her point, have equal rights, but now there are more SAHDads while women work... and I'd rather be the one home while HE is working...

~*Giggles*~.... !!!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I think things are fine now. I agree with Octobersmom though.
    SeasideNative

Answer by SeasideNative at 3:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Okay, first I'd like to complain that you can't say much with only 940 characters. So this'll come in 4 pieces.

I agree with Octobersmom.  I'm all for EQUAL treatment.  And I do mean actually equal.  Same standards, same requirements, same expectations, same pay, same rights, etc for the same tasks.  I also feel that nature has given men & women their own special traits that society blurs the lines on.  IE: Females, in general, are better at caring for young because those are the physical and mental traits that nature has given them.  While males, in general, are physically stronger with better hand-eye coordination and aptitudes with tools and the like because those are the traits they needed before we invented civiliation.

BryzniFaye

Answer by BryzniFaye at 3:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• The US Army recognizes that women make better helicopter pilots (while men are better with airplanes) because they, again IN GENERAL, have a softer touch with the flight stick while airplanes require a more forceful approach.  The Navy admits that women are more suited to deep-sea and similar pressurized environments because they are generally smaller in size with lower percentages of muscle mass - which means they consume fewer resources (air in particular).

BryzniFaye

• There are some men who can do "women's work" better than most women.  And there are some women who can do "men's work" better than most women.  But my experiences have been that ON AVERAGE, we fall into the typical categories that nature planned for us.  And that "feminist" can be like PETA - a bunch of extremists who's over-the-top, and irrational approaches do more harm for their cause than good by creating a poor public image.

BryzniFaye

• I am grateful for all they endured to make the workplace more hospitable and equitable. For the abuse both verbal and sexual, for the humiliation and hate from even women. I'm grateful for the early part of the modern day movement started with the fight for suffrage. I'm am proud of their accomplishments and hope to aid in the yardage still needed until we finally make that touchdown.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:12 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I have never had any love for the "feminist movement". I remember one of the leaders of the movement saying that young women needed to have careers in order to be a valuable, contributing member of society. So, while things have changed as far as the workplace: ability to climb that ladder, etc. it has a downside. We now have more kids than ever who are left to their own devices once they're too old for daycare. What do many do? Get into trouble. We have parents who BOTH come home too tired to really deal with the children after working all day. And prices of homes, etc. tend to be based on a two-income household which means that more & more mom's will need a job too just to provide the basics for their families. I always figured raising kids to be good, honest, independant people was the most important job a woman could have, the feminist movement, however, made it the LEAST important & we see the results every day.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 11:01 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• But I personally agree that women shouldn't be in combat environments for a few reasons.  Women are more emotional than men, and are less suited to the chaos and trauma of combat.  They are generally less physically oriented, making them literally less capable of carrying their share of the load (gear - food, ammo, med supplies) or keeping up when running.  They're also FAR more likely to be subjected to horrific treatments should they become a POW; rapes in particular - which could even be an issue with their squadmates if they find themselves in situations such as in Vietnam where they spent extended periods out in the jungle.

BryzniFaye