Can someone clue me in? adult content

Call me dumb but I just don't get it. I haven't got a clue. I'm guessing everybody else knows cause they do it too.

Every year I buy b-day gifts, gifts for xmas, Easter baskets and all the other treats and gifts in between for the kids. I do this knowing full well that most of these things well end up broken or worn out in less than a year (some things only last days) I do this knowing that the thing they wanted the most will only be played with briefly before tiring of it and it ends up at the bottom of the toy box. None of these items or toys will be fully appreciated, yet I continue to do this because everyone else does and your suppose too. Besides, I want the kids to be happy, right?

It's not just me. I hear others complain about mistreated toys or if not that not playing with half the toys they have. Then the parents go out at Christmas and spend tons on money to make sure there is a lot under the tree. I do it too. But I don't know why. Last year we were broke. Worried about Christmas my dh took out a loan. Yup, that's right, we went into debt just so we'd have a ton of toys under the tree, JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER KIDS. We didn't want them to feel bad, they deserved to have a nice Christmas. Besides, how would they feel when they know all their friends got all that stuff, but not them.

So can someone PLEASE tell me why we do this. Why do we buy gifts for our kids that we know will eventually not be appreciated and we can't afford. I just want to get it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• well depending one how old the kids are.. my kids are only 2 and 3. no i do not spend money i DO NOT have. Im very good about stay out of debt. If you want the kids to have gifts and you cant afford it there are places you can sign your kids up.. my 2 kids are happy with having 3 things. I love the look on their face how happy they get.. the I LOVE YOU MOMMY YOUR THE BEST MOMMY means a lot to me. they are too young to understand the whole idea of christmas and that mom works A LOT to get them stuff.
    Anonymous

• we have not really had christmas in two years, I do no do the evey hoilday trash toys.
    My kids are just fine. They understad we live on budget, they go to a private school and that takes up a chunk of our budget.
    They understand they cannot have it everything. BUT they are happy and well adjusted kids.
    My kids are loved and have their needs met - without all the extra spendng.
    Just sit down and list all the stuipid things you've spent money on. Even being on a budget - We still occasionaly spend money on something, I wonder why did we need that.

I;m with you, I don't understand why parents feel the need to buy their kids everything. OR go into debt to do so...
    Good Question
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I skip the junk toys.
    mommydinasaur

Answer by mommydinasaur at 4:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Tell the children to choose one good quality toy. A life lesson in learning to control the budget will be much more valuable than keeping up with the Joneses.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 8:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I don't know. We do it too. We never spend more than we can afford, but the quantity is purely ridiculous. I definitely think it contributes to a sense of entitlement, and I can't stand that I do it. This year, when I threatened to throw out all the toys that were left on the floor of the toy room, she snottily told me "Do what you want, Santa will buy me more". It really burns LP's ass that I do this year after year, and that comment should have had me agreeing with him!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2011