Boycott Home Depot?

The American Family Association [AFA] has called for all the good Christians to boycott Home Depot for their "financial and corporate support to open displays of homosexual activism on main streets." This radical Christian group is 'asking' the company to remain neutral in the "culture war" between homosexuals and the religious.

Video of AFA's Buddy Smith explaining that Homosexuals are in the "clasp of the devil."

Would you support this boycott? Why or why not?

clarity333

Asked by clarity333 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I doesn't hurt their sales or image for a few hundred people out of thousands to boycott them.

Actually, it boosts their sales. Depending on the brand, it's almost strategic for them to encourage that kind of behavior - those who are sympathetic outnumber those who will actually boycott, and in the midst of it all, they get a lot of free publicity. Most likely, HD will have a better quarter than they've been having, thanks in part to AFA. Hopefully they'll send a thank you letter.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:46 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I would not boycott Home Depot - let me tell you why. I live about 15 minutes from Joplin, MO (remember the horrible tornado that happened last month?). The Home Depot there was severly damaged. The store donated EVERYTHING it had left (lumber, roofing materials, plumbing supplies - everything) to anyone in the community who needed it. Not only that, but Home Depot continued to pay ALL of it's employees from the Joplin store even though they couldn't come to work (since there was no more store to work in). Home Depot has earned my respect from the way they treated people through this tragedy, I can't say anything positive like that for AFA, can you?

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:51 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• When I was younger, I worked at Pizza Hut for a while. At the time, they and a few other fast food chains were all owned by Pepsi. There was an elderly couple who came in each week, and would always insist on drinking Mt Dew, not Pepsi, because Pepsi helped "the gays". Nobody bothered to explain to them that Pepsi also owned Mt Dew, and Pizza Hut. It was obvious they didn't actually know or care about the truth behind what they were doing, only that someone told them to do it, and like mindless sheep, they did as they were told. I'm guessing that couple, if they are still alive, is boycotting Home Depot this week.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:41 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• If anything a company who openly supports "homosexual activism" would get more of my business, not less!
    There is also a bank in VA that they are trying to do the same thing with, and again, if they were near me, I would make a point to do business with them. I support those who support tolerance and peace!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Would you support this boycott?   Nope!  Why or why not?  Apart from the fact that it is a ludicrous boycott, I have a bathroom to renovate.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• No for two reasons
    1) It's ridiculous. While I may not agree' with homosexuality I do not for once second believe they are the 'clasp of the devil' That is absurd. They are people. A lot of times very NICE people.
    2)Boycotting a large company such as Home Depot or Disney when that was being requested is that they don't care. I doesn't hurt their sales or image for a few hundred people out of thousands to boycott them. All it does is make it harder on you of that it your closet home improvement store.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• *off to Home Depot*
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 6:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I posted this on my FB this morning with the following comment:

"It is time to tell the too far to the right-wing idiots to stop trying to force their religious beliefs (and that is what this boils down to) onto everyone else. I do believe I will be doing my home improvement shopping at Home Depot from now on."

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I guess I'm not a good Christian then, because I would never boycott my Home Depot! My yard needs too much work, and Lowes is too damned far away. I refuse to waste the gas just to support some lame-ass boycott, even if I did agree those kooks in the AFA (which I don't)....
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• No because it is not my place to do so. I have my own opinions about homosexuality however I do not treat them any different to anyone else.

momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 3:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2011