Do you have problems with you already house trained dog.

Okay, I have a small breed Chihuahua, his name is Teddy and I love him dearly.
But as of lately he has been pissing me off with his pissing everywhere.
I know what you are thinking if he was really house trained then he wouldn't be having accidents. For the longest time he was not having accidents, I would take him out or he would whimper every time he needed to go.
But after our Lab ran away my Teddy is not acting the same.
He goes on my floor (same spot as always) as soon as I let him in the door, or he'll have an accident after every time I mop the floor.
It is annoying, I have two young children who play on the floor and who sometimes eat the food that they dropped on the floor.
I can't keep letting my dog pee all over the floor.
He was trained and after the Lab ran off he has been acting up.
I just don't knw what to do.
But I know that my Df won't let me keep Teddy if he keeps having accidents.
He already wants to buy a kennel, and I just don't like to think of my dog being stuck in a kennel.

styhmMommy

Asked by styhmMommy at 3:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Pets

• First things first. Vet visit. See if Teddy perhaps has an UTI or some other health issue causing his accidents. If that comes back clear then its a behavior issue. Whenever you can't watch Teddy I'd crate him. Crate training is a good way to control him (He wont go in a small space). Its humane (Dogs like crates as long as their trained properly).

Make sure you clean the area he is going in. If he can smell it he's more likely to continue to go in that spot. Also if Teddy isn't neutered thats your first objective!
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:54 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I agree with having him tested for UTI first. If it isn't health related, it is behavioral. He is probably missing his buddy and he's acting out. You will need to go back to sqare one of potty training/housebreaking. I also agree with crate training, but if you just do not want to do that, you can just keep him teathered (spelling?) to you. Also, as far as cleaning the spot he keeps returning to, you will have to use an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle to completely remove the odor...even if you can't smell the old urine, he CAN and he'll keep going there.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 6:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I agree with the UTI but I also think it's possible he's acting out. Is he hitting a spot his buddy potty trained on? Is he hitting a spot he potty trained on? Dogs can become depressed and regress. The answer above me covers most everything, other than I'd suggest a black light. Completely darken the room and look for other spots because he could well be marking his territory. Also, did you say if he's neutered? Because dogs that aren't neutered are more prone to territorial and stress marking than dogs that aren't.
    jandshyne

Answer by jandshyne at 1:58 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• No he is not neutered. I would like to neuter him but my DF doesn't want to. He is hitting the same spot that he would when he was be house trained. I am not really sure that its a UTI. He started having this problem right after our other dog ran away, and it get worse after he has play dates with his doggie friend.
    I am also thinking that it has to do with me being so busy lately that I haven't been taking him for regular walks.
    styhmMommy

Comment by styhmMommy (original poster) at 1:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2011