please help

everytime my little girl eats she ALWAYS spits some of it back up..i burp her really good and everything..what could cause it...she is only 1 month 1 week and 3 days

s.bryant

Asked by s.bryant at 11:14 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (-8 Credits)
  • It could be acid reflux or it could be that she is getting too much food at a time. Try burping her more often and if that doesn't help, talk to your dr about acid reflux.
    lanesmommy08

Answer by lanesmommy08 at 11:16 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Yes it has to be reflux. My dd did after EVERY feeding and it wasn't just a little. We have her on medication now and she doesn't spit up at all anymore and is alot more comfortable after eating.
    StaceyBee

Answer by StaceyBee at 11:17 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I agree with everything the pp said. Probably some reflux or she is eating too much. Some babys grow out of it, for some it get worse. If it bothers her talk to your doctor about it. If she is formula fed sometimes a new formula will help.
    For now try smaller more frequent feedings. Burp often. Keep her in an upright position for at least 30 mins after eating. Either being held or a bouncy seat or swing (car seats actually can make it worse the angle of the seat puts too much pressure on the tummy).
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:19 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• we tried alot of different types..i keep her sittin up..i feed her 2 oz at a time still dont help..
    s.bryant

Answer by s.bryant at 11:21 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I am not a doctor, this is ONLY advice, BUT my pedi told us to add a tablespoon of single grain rice cereal to my son's bottle to help with the spitting up. It helps them digest it a little better. You may want to ask your pedi before doing this, but it is something that helped us.
    lanesmommy08

Answer by lanesmommy08 at 11:35 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I think she is spitting up because she is a baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• if it's just a little, it's probably fine. reflux is when a lot come back up, not only after a feeding, but at anytime during the day/night, or when it's painful for her to eat. almost all babies spit up to some extent. if she continues to grow and gain weight and she doesn't seem to be in any pain, she's probably just a bigger spitter-upper than usual. =) but if she seems to be uncomfortable or not getting enough, talk to your pediatrician about it.

as for the cereal in the bottle, i'd ask your pedi first. i've heard not to do that. but i've seen lots of posts from people who say they do it. so, double check w/your dr to see what's right for your baby.
    pugmama

Answer by pugmama at 12:41 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• My understanding is that even if it looks like baby is spitting up every ounce that she drank don't worry too much. The docs all say they are still getting a lot of nutrition from what they do ingest.

As long as your baby appears lucid (not drugged up or sick/tired looking) and is gaining weight, has regular wet diapers & bm diapers then I would not worry. Are you a nursing Mommy? Breastmilk is the best formula for little baby's tummy! :)
    Sarena83

Answer by Sarena83 at 12:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• try burping her in betweening feeding. or burp her every 3 ounces or 2
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:39 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• its not reflex,my lil one did that too and she is breatsfeed,its just tjhere bodies getting used to digesting and all,as long as she isnt puking up a hole lot.it will go away
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:03 AM on Dec. 10, 2008