When do you know if they are right or left handed?

He seems to highly favor his left but I was just wondering.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 4:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• You just watch. One thing I have an issue with at schools they assume or encourage right hand use for writing. I usually just allowed mine to learn to write or color alot before they ever went into Pre-K so I would know.

Answer by gemgem at 4:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• when they show preference for picking things up with a certain hand. my son is a leftie (as am i) and my daughter is right handed. i think i knew with both well before they turned 1 year.
    mommydinasaur

Answer by mommydinasaur at 4:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My daughte showed favor of her right hnd since she started using a spoon, when she was about 13 months old, and now she is 5, and that just happened to be the hand she uses. I think it all depends on the baby. My 1 year old son is showing favor over his right hand, so I guess I'll see too!
    babygrlsmommy

Answer by babygrlsmommy at 4:11 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• It starts around a year when you give them a spoon. My oldest switched back and forth for awhile. He finally settled on his right when he was 2-3. My middle son was a righty from early on. My daughter has always favored her left.
    elizabg

Answer by elizabg at 4:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• DD (1 year) favors her left. She uses it to pick up food and to wave bye bye. But I read that you won't know for sure until the are older. I will be making sure that she isn't forced into right-handedness if she is really a lefite.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• watch which foot he steps with first - most of the time it matches... my son didnt have a dominant side (as far as writing/ throwing/ reaching) until this year - he is 5 - but he can write with both hands - his prek wouldnt discourage it because it was legible both ways... seems like a good thing in case he has to use the other hand for something - btw he is a righty.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:35 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• You just watch and wait. When the child favors the left or right more and more. That's when you know.
    You can not change a child if he/she is a lefty.

Answer by louise2 at 3:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2011