Do you wake your child in the night to pee?

My son has only been peeing in the potty for about 2 weeks. I still put a diaper on him at night b/c he can't hold it all night and doesn't wake to go. Should I wake him at some point and have him go?

AngZacc

Asked by AngZacc at 4:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No, if you're waking him up to pee, then you're training yourself rather than him. It's normal for a child to "wet the bed" until the age of five or six.

http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/A-Potty-Accidents-Nighttime.html

"Having to urinate at night is not an issue with most adults, since when an adult's bladder is full at night, a signal goes from the bladder to the brain and we are awakened with the need to go. For children, this signaling mechanism comes with age. Most pediatricians do not consider bed wetting an issue until after the age of five or six. "

makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 12:49 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• My ds is potty training too. We cut off all liquids about an hr before bed, and make his go potty before bed time. He has been dry for the past week when he wakes up!!! :) they do say to wake them every 2 hrs, but IMO that's asking for trouble....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I just put my dd in a pull up at night until she was able to not have night time accidents.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 4:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• no, limit drinks about an hour or 2 before bed time
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 4:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• We only did for a short period after we potty trained. After that, no. If he ends up falling asleep early, and doesn't pee before bed, we sometimes do it in the middle of his night, because he's more likely to go right back to sleep if we do it then.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2011