When weaning what do you do when your breast are full?

My daughter will be two this month. Im currently TRYING to wean but my breast are getting pretty full and swollen and leaking. What am I suppose to do when they are like this ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when I weened my first I would use my hand to help with a little let down to help relieve some of the fullness while showering, and mostly used bra pads to help the rest of the day. They are going to be uncomfortable for a few days.. but after a week or so you should notice less leaking and less fullness in the breasts if not complete dry out. Continuing to pump WILL just make your body react like you're still breastfeeding so you don't want to do that really, but you can release some of the build up and pressure while you shower to easy discomfort. By hand allows your body to release just enough where you can find some relieve, but not enough to where it's the amount of an actual feeding, so slowly you'll produce less and less until you dry out.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Pumping will only worsen the problem since BM is supply and demand. Is she drinking other milk? If so, try giving her a cup of cow/goat/soy milk first and then topping off with breast milk, that way she will already be fairly full so she won't drink very much breastmilk and your body will get used to making less and less milk...and it also isn't as traumatic for her to just quit. Kellymom.com also has some tips for weaning. GL
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• pump them and get the milk out just dont give it to her. Thats all you really can do. Take a hot shower and while in there try to get out more milk and just let it run down the drain. In weaning your trying to get her off it so just get rid of it. you really cant use it for anything else. lol. Good luck.
    mrs.miner

Answer by mrs.miner at 4:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• @ ashes27165....she is not two she will be two on the 29th! I breast feed because I I wanted to give my baby the best not something thats man made, not something to MIMIC breast milk. Any more questions :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• put cabbage on ur nipples

Anonymous

• ur breast feeding ?? at 2yrs old? why
    ashes27165

Answer by ashes27165 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2011