Did anyone ever offer you help and not follow through? *Cancer*

Did anyone ever offer you help since you were down on your luck? We always were good, honest, helping random acts of kindness people. So many people that heard about my aggressive cancer, no one employed in our home, lost insurance with every hardship imaginable. People stepped up. Made arrangements for help like a new working furnace and heat, a working, reliable car for the thousands of miles of trips to the non stop appointments. Gas cards and doing a Cancer benefit. Well this gave some Hope to fight to go on. Since I felt. What have I to live for? I can't afford Cancer, the meds, treatments and all that goes with it. Nor do I want to fight to live just to lose my house and everything we own! I have no living family. No friends came by. And well everyone that offered the unbelievable offers.. Fell through and didn't come through. I don't know what? I mean my heart nearly stopped. It was the only time I cried so many Happy tears for Hope and something to look forward to! The answers to my prayers. Those offers were generous. But none came through. Has this happened to anyone else? What can I think now? I was thankful to all that offered. I never asked for anything. I wrote a letter to my paper. And instead of publishing my thank you for friendships through cancer. The paper put 2 of us struggling cancer patients and our stories on the front page of the paper. Then phone calls came. But none of the offers came through. Do I give up now? I put this under just for fun. For having those caring calls was fun while it lasted.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Health

• Oh honey... I can't imagine going through that kind of disappointment on such a large scale. I've had people offer assistance and then flake before...but not on anything which literally could make or break me. Eventually I learned that you only have yourself. Don't give up. There is always hope. Even if you have to use state assistance... it's worth being here for your kids. Connect with any organization that'll listen. Hugs and prayers to you. .
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 5:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I am so sorry people can be that way. American Cancer Society and United Way may be able to help. Get into a support group. Thereare caring people who will help you. Hang in there.
    blackisbetter

Answer by blackisbetter at 5:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Sweetheart, I am so very sorry. I can understand what you mean when people make "pie in the sky" offers. My sister in law battled cancer and the only people that stepped up to help were her sister, me and my DH. Everyone made the offers to help out, but when they were called upon, the developed "amnesia". I wish there were something I could do for you to make things easier, or better yet, get rid of your cancer! I know that the power of prayer is amazing and does help, so I am keeping you in my prayers daily will ask God to keep His hand on you and your family, and to guide the people making the offers to help make good on their offers. ((((Hugs)))
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 6:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2011