Is it rude to NOT have beer at a 2 year old's birthday party?

My son's b-day party is Saturday and my mom asked me what she could bring....well, I told her she could bring some beer since my Dad HAS to have it. He seriously left one day because we didn't have any. I would really prefer that alcohol not be at his party...since there will be little kids around and I just don't think it's necessary to have at his party. Anyways my mom responded that we should just buy a bunch of beer to have for the holidays too. Well the only one who drinks beer that will be here over the holidays is my dad. Why should I have to buy all this beer when he'll be the only one drinking it? I'm sure people will drink it at the party if offered, however, I really don't want people drinking at his party! A couple of the people drink too much and I just don't want to encourage that. It's only for a few hours...can't they live without it for a little bit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You should talk to both ur mom and dad about it. Tell them you dont feel comfortable with having beer at a 2 year olds birthday party and if they can't live without it for a few hours then they are welcome not to come. Its a bit sad and harsh but sometimes you have to think whats best for ur child and as well as the other kids around. Theres no reason there should be alcohol at a kids birthday party. Now the holidays are a different story. If they want beer..they should bring it..
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 11:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• tell your mom to just bring beer for your dad. and stick with that. my mom tried to have open bar at my wedding, and i would not allow it. alcohol should not be part of the event if YOU don't want it, and it's your party/sons party.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 11:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• WHAT?! Don't give in! It's your house and your rules. If he doesn't like it and leaves then it's his loss. Hopefully he'll see how immature he is acting. I'm not trying to be rude, but it upsets me when people put alcohol (or anything really) before family.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• if anyone wants alc...make it byob!!! Have a set limit. yes they will get pissed but... its your sons big day not theres. if they dont respect that they should leave. Yes its family but everyoe should understand. just rememer keep your head high..have fun for your sons sake
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• WOW. Seriously. Beer at at TWO YEAR OLD'S party??? WTF for??? JMO, but if your dad's gonna be like that, does he really need to be there in the first place? Great influence, there, Gramps!
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 11:28 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• give him an odouls
    JenRose09

Answer by JenRose09 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• I'm not going to give in, but I just know he's going to say something about it. My cousin didn't have alcohol at her wedding like 8 years ago and he still talks about how rude he thinks it was. I definitely don't want to encourage his drinking. My husband and I don't drink (I'm pregnant, but don't usually drink anyways). My family has a history of alcoholism. I just don't see why people have to drink at EVERY event and why I should have to pay for it?? The focus of the party should be on my son, not drinking, ya know?!
    Anonymous

• I would simply tell him that it's a children's party, not an adult party. My dh asked me before our son's 1st bday if we were going to have beer. Umm, no. Personally, I don't want to set that type of example for my kids. And what if people drive their kids there, then drink and try to drive home? No way. It's your party for your son and you have every right to say no.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 12:00 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Personally, I think it is inappropriate to have beer or booze at a childs birthday party. It takes only one unruly adult to ruin the special day for that child. If you don't want alcohol at your sons birthday then put your foot down and tell you dad that a couple of hours won't kill him. It is more important to be there for his grandson than whether or not there is going to be beer at the party.
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 12:03 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• It sounds like your Dad may have an alcohol issue, you should talk to him about that. Again, I agree with other that it's your house and your rules. It's not really appropriate to have alcohol at a small child's birthday.
    beforeyoureyes

Answer by beforeyoureyes at 2:36 AM on Dec. 10, 2008