Musty clothes

I am cleaning out my basement.It is very musty down there. I had a lot of clothing in boxes. As I was bringing them up I noticed that musty smell. Can they salvaged and what treatment is good to do so?

Kimkh

Asked by Kimkh at 5:14 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• wash with Washing Soda and or Borax added to your liquid detergant
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 5:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I agree, and Borax will do wonders alone if you can't find the washing soda.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:16 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• You could try washing them, otherwise I'd throw them away.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• wash with some dawn dish soap good for getting smella and any kind of stain. also if you put white vinager in your was with your soap it will help also
    angeleyz375

Answer by angeleyz375 at 10:11 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Id try washing them (I use Gain and it works for me to get the musty smell out when we moved recently and got our stuff out of storage) and all of it came out smelling like normal. Just dont overpack the loads that way they can really agitate and get clean :)
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 7:30 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I would suggest baking soda with your reg detergent, it works wonders with smells!
    momofcac

Answer by momofcac at 11:09 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• There are sports washing detergents at stores for people who are real active. It lifts up stains that are hard to get out. It also helps eliminates strong odors. So, maybe that will help out.
    Diamond2010

Answer by Diamond2010 at 11:46 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• thank you for the question I always wondered about that myself....
    Usually to get smells out clothes I fill the washer while it filling a small splash of bleach wait for it to fill then stick the clothes in and it does pretty awesome especially when kiddos are sicky poo :(
    djavongirl

Answer by djavongirl at 12:17 PM on Jun. 8, 2011