Growth on dog's leg?

I asked a question the other day about my dog and I got alot of ok answers.
I need to take her to the vet but I do not have the money to pay.
I called our vet and the receptionist said that they would need the money up front.
I think that sucks because she needs help right now!
My dog has a growth the size of a golfball and now it has little baby growths on it like 5 more it looks like a big cluster of flesh you can tell she has been messing with it bc herhair is kind of wet like she has been licking it. What can I do for the mean time remember I can not take her to the vet. Yet. I know to keep it clean but what kind of medicine can I use to keep it clean.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Pets

• OK anon that was just rude and mean. While I am a huge animal activist, people all over have fallen are hard times and are having problems making ends meat just to feed themselves....tsk tsk that you should be so judgemental and hurtful.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:54 PM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Try rubbing alcohol a couple times a day to keep it clear of infection.

Our vet requires payment up front BUT will hold our check up to 2 weeks if we request it. Have you asked about trying that? You really should do whatever you can to get the dog to the vet.

We actually just took our dog into the vet Friday for the same thing...only on her back foot. It's a growth the size of a nickle and it keeps getting bigger. They tested it and they think it's an infection. She's on antibiotics now for it but if that doesn't work, they're cutting it off. It's non-cancerous thankfully.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:29 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• i know you say you dont have money for the vet. there is a plan thats out there that essentially can finance your vet bills. its called care credit. i looked it up for you and heres a link for it. i hope it helps! i know how it feels to feel completely helpless about your pets. i had an issue with my cat and wasnt able to take him and unfortunately he passed away before i heard about this. so i want to tell as many people about it as i can. i hope it helps you!
    http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_pay_for_expensive_vet_bills
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:50 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Or give her away to the humane society and they will get care for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• maybe put an e-collar on her so she doesn't mess with it. if that is too stressful for her and she is licking it too much get bitter apple and put it on it. it tastes nasty and she won't mess with it. if everything fails and she irritates it or licks it raw put triple antibiotic ointment on it and keep her busy for a while so she doesn't lick it off. call the humane society to see if they can recommend anything or anywhere that will help you out.
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 1:13 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• People shouldn't have animals that they cannot afford to take care of. Your dog may be in pain, and you aren't able to get her the treatment she needs. Dogs don't always show that they are in pain (whining/whimpering ect) some show no symptoms even in they are in pain. I feel sorry for your dog. I would take her to a humane society so she can get the medical attention that she needs and then they can find her a good home with a family that can afford to take care of her.
    Poor dog
    Anonymous

• Anon--I surely hope you never fall on hard times or loose a job. Crap happens...and it's likely to happen to you someday!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:49 PM on Dec. 10, 2008