Is it possible to feed a family of 4 (two adults, one 3 year old and one 1 year old) a completely organic diet for about $100 a week?

That's what I want to do... but I just don't see how it can be done. I don't buy all organic right now, and spend about that much.

Is it even possible?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Yes - you need to plan ahead and cook from scratch, not rely on pre-packaged organic processed food. Once you get a repertoire of basics down, you can build on that as you go, and add more variety. Buy things like dry goods in bulk when they're on sale, freeze them for a few days, and they'll never get buggy, so they'll last longer. Don't plan meals and then shop for the ingredients - buy what's in season/on sale or work with what's in your garden and freezer, and plan your meals around that. If it means you eat the same thing 3 nights in a week, it's still better than spending $50 on one time use ingredients that will be on sale for half the price a few weeks later.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• you'll need pasta, rice, fresh veggies, and less meat. yes i would say it is possible.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 5:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• We already don't eat a whole lot of meat, so that wouldn't be too hard for us :)
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 5:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Sure, if you grow your own veggies. You can cut down a huge portion of your grocery bill by having a garden and canning or freezing your extras.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I'm growing some stuff in containers, but we can't really have much of a garden, because we rent and the yard is gravel on top of plastic sheeting :(
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I think so, just shop farmer's markets and perhaps learn how to can your own fruit and veggies?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Possible but with the cost of fruits and vegetables rising, esp. when they charge more for "organic" might get harder to do.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Absolutely! Lots of dried beans and lentils, brown rice, frozen vegetables, etc.

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:23 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I would say definitely yes. I shop at the local farmer's markets and I spend less than half on fruits and veggies than I would at the grocery store. Dry items like lentils, beans and rice are pretty cheap as it is. I will be canning vegetables this year from our garden. We have zucchini, tomatoes, onions and bell peppers in our garden. I can't wait for the first harvest!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I would think so especially if you grow your own stuff
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 5, 2011