Oye!!!,

Ever get irritated who feel that because they were successful at breastfeeding, they are better than you?! Seriously! I tried with my dd. She was a lazy baby, didn't eat for the first 16 hr after she was born and even after, she would fall asleep, right after latching. We tried for a month, went to bi weekly lactation consultant appointments and still had to end up pumping and then going to formula because I couldn't keep up. My daughter is just as healthy as anyone's who breastfed for an extend period of time. Why judge?! your child isn't healthier because of it. My daughter has been sick once, is right on track for weight and is unbelievably smart. I tried, couldn't do it, I will try gain with my next, but don't act all holier-than-thou because you were successful at something I tried my damnedest at!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I tried with my son and things didn't work either...It sucked and I am still upset about it to this day. It was really hard to see other people do so well at it...I felt like it was all my fault... But if someone is making you feel badly about it...that is just mean...Don't worry I have a 3 month old now and she is nursing just fine...Hope it works for you the next time...My son had formula too and is way to smart.
    Nikol4270

Answer by Nikol4270 at 5:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I've never thought they felt they were better than me, but I've gotten them impression that they think I'm lying about not being able to continue past 5 months, even after I explain the issues we had that lead to my problems with it. It's not common for women to be truly unable to bf, but it DOES happen.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• ACTUALLY, anon. My new neighbor asked why my 10 month old had a bottle of formula, and why I wasn't trying my hardest to do what was best for my baby. So next time you want to jump down someone, check to make sure you have your facts straight. I haven't read anyone's post about extended breast feeding.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I breastfed and supplemented with formula for the first 6 weeks with both of my kids. It was miserable. Nursing was painful and made me feel nauseated the entire time. I dreaded feeding my own children. Yet I heard countless times how I was a bad mom whenever I pulled out a bottle (mostly from my MIL and her friends) or how if I was a good mom I would enjoy feeding my baby and the pain was only in my head. Breastfeeding was a horrible experience for me and it really hacks me off when I hear people talk down about formula feeders because they think breast feeding makes them so much better.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I would have told my neighbor , well actually it is because I hate my baby, and I want her to be sick! I mean seriously where do people get off being breast feeding nazi's,,, I was able to do it for about 3 months, but my milk dried up and honeslty my husband love feeding our baby as well,, the next time you see your nosy neighbor, I would walk away,,,UGG!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• You feel better now??? I didn't do it at all!!!! and my three kids are full grown healthy adults!

Answer by older at 6:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• my o.b. was adopted as a baby and obviously formula fed and she was very defensive about the idea that breast milk makes a child any smarter - asking what could she have become if she had only had breast milk (its a joke because she became exactly what she wanted.....) as long as a child has a parent (doesnt matter mom or dad) who cares about them and does what is best for them - they will most likely be happy successful people... thats all that matters ... imo
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 7:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• BF didn't work for me for medical reasons. I was aware of that long before I gave birth, and spent hours discussing options with my OB throughout my pregnancy. He agreed to letting me give it a shot under closely monitored circumstances, with the understanding that the odds were against me ever producing enough milk. When we finally gave in and bought a can of formula, I cried for 2 days, and my husband had no idea what to do or say to make it better. The idiots from LLL who insisted on calling me even after we told them were anything but helpful.

So no, I have absolutely no patience for the sanctimonious assholes who feel the need to preach their gospel, only to backtrack and apologize AFTER they hear about my experience. It's not their right or their place to address it in the first place, and I only wish one tenth of the trauma they've inflicted on other mothers could be passed back to them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2011