Step son visiting his mother and my in laws......

My step son and his mother will be reuniting tomorrow. His mother had issues that she needed to take care and she has apologized for not being there for him and he has also asked to meet her. He is 8 yrs old and the last time he seen her was age 2 1/2. My mother in law was here today and wanted to take him home with her and I told her no that he was seeing his mom tomorrow. She got mad and said that that woman is not going to interfere with her seeing her grandson and when she wants him then his mom will have wait. We have a parenting plan entered and I told her that we have to go by what that says and she said well she should have never walked away. The PP says supervised for 6 months or at least until the mother can provide stabability. Visits are at our house. I kind of under stand where she is coming from but again this is what my step son wants to and it should be about him not what grandma wants. Am i wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It is not her child, so she doesn't get to make the decisions. Some people are not fit to be parents at first, but eventually can become wonderful parents. Becuase she made some mistakes and had some issues, it is not right to say she should never be allowed to see her child ever again. That is extremely childish!

I think you are doing a great thing and he is lucky to have you as a stepmom.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• If the mother has done what she needs to do in order to be a positive influence on her son, she deserves the opportunity to get to know him and he deserves his mom in his life. Continuing to punish her for what's in the past isn't doing anyone any favors. It sounds like your MIL is holding a grudge against her and that's not fair to the child.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I think your husband needs to call her and say I understand how you feel, but we are mandated by the court to do this, so please keep your comments to your self (esp in front of DS). I bet she is worried that your stepson is going to get hurt disappointed again, and didn't do a good job of verbalizing it, she is in the wrong, but I think your hubbs needs to handle her.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 5:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• It's about what's best for the child, which is the opportunity to know his mother. Grandma is just being a pain.
    mommydinasaur

Answer by mommydinasaur at 5:38 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• No it is all about the kid and what he wants. The grandmother will have to be less selfish and realize without that woman she wouldn't have a grandkid. That is his mother and he wants to see her. Gma just has to sit down and be quiet. I hope it goes well for the son and mother.
    Jazmineamomma

Answer by Jazmineamomma at 6:03 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Sounds like your MIL needs to get over herself. Of course you are doing the right thing by doing what is best for the child. Your MIL needs to grow up and learn that the world does not revolve around her. Next time she pulls that crap let her know you want to do what is best for your SS and that includes getting to know his Momma.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:48 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• No you arent and you would be in contempt of court, and really she probably could be too. I would explain to her when an order is entered it is considered the law. It is the law the judge has signed into effect and if anyone comes between that order they can get into trouble. They can be fined or jailed. Tell her since you dont have money for a fine and honestly dont feel like sitting in a jail cell she is just going to have to wait. If she comes over dont answer the door.

Answer by gemgem at 5:54 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• how childish of her
    sophistcatdfury

Answer by sophistcatdfury at 5:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2011