my neighbors son, who i babysit often, is going on 6 years old and still has to wear diapers to bed because he pee's AND poops in his sleep. How common is this and should he go to the doctor?

He doesn't eat very much, small meals and snacks, lastnight he was here and i didn't give him water after 7:00 p.m., he pee's twice before going to bed at 9:30 p/m. and he still pee'd and pooped in his pants. (i tried not putting a diaper on him in case he was using the diaper for an excise to not get up and go to toilet) I'm concerned about this as i've, nor anyone else i've asked, has ever heard of this before at this age.

tinarbuys

Asked by tinarbuys at 5:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• In the U.S., about 5 to 7 million children aged 6 years or older suffer from primary nocturnal enuresis also called nighttime bed-wetting or the involuntary loss of urine at night when they could reasonably be expected to stay dry.

http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/bed-wetting-myths-debunked

Answer by gemgem at 5:58 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Not sure about the pooping, but having pee accidents at night at that age is still normal. Every child's bladder develops differently.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My sister did and it was a major flag of abuse.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 6:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• abuse!! I hope not, but if we're talking psycholocal here, how about maybe attention seeking from a doting mother (his father isn't very hands on)? does that sound like something that would cause this to happen as well?
    tinarbuys

Comment by tinarbuys (original poster) at 6:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• NOt sure about the poop but night time wetting is VERY common in children under five and somewhat common up to 10. Over 10 is not as common but it happens.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• The pooping seems unusual. There's nothing unusual about the peeing.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:40 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My 6 yo still needs a pull up to bed because he pees. I'm not sure about the pooping in his sleep, could be something to mention to his dr.
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 9:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• The pooping sounds unusual to me but the peeing is totally normal.
    alliesmom112

Answer by alliesmom112 at 10:36 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• While I think peeing is pretty normal, I dont think pooping is. In little boys it can be typical for them to have a bowel that is small, and that will start pushing out poop before the child is ready. This requires medical attention, and sometimes the bowel can be shrankso that they have normal stimulation to let them know that they need to poop. I think its time for the boy to see his ped.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 10:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Poor kid
    AllThatBabyJazz

Answer by AllThatBabyJazz at 1:53 AM on Jun. 5, 2011