How to make these? any online tutorials you suggest? and fabric?

I like our dining room chairs, but I do not like the fabric on them. It is stained and blah looking. I could just order these, but if I could make them that would be nice. What type of material is best and any online tuts you would suggest or how to go about this? I have had one sewing class that focused on the basics, made litttle things like pillow cases, pair of harem pants for belly dance, belly dance hip scarves, fixed hems etc....so I am not completely new to sewing, but still very much a beginner. I have a decent singer machine as well.
Here are links to pictures, http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Suede-Dining-Chair-Slipcover/dp/B001CH8KCK/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1307225047&sr=8-32 and http://www.amazon.com/Cotton-Dining-Chair-Burgundy-Slipcover/dp/B0000A0RYE/ref=sr_1_37?ie=UTF8&qid=1307225075&sr=8-37

I would like the first design if I had a fabric that was a nice print, something more than just a solid color. The second design I woulud like ifit was a basic color, no print so the back tye could be a bow possibly. but they are both the same basic idea, just one has a tie back, one doe snot

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 6:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I would suggest measuring each part of the chair, add an inch to the measurements, cut it out, sew it together. Looks simple enough. I tried google and youtube but failed to find a tutorial. =/
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 6:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• what type of fabric I am wondering...since they ill get lots of use and need to be cleaned, preferably washer friendly and we do have a 4 year old which means spills haha. i seen some gorgeous ones in suede but I am thinking with a 4 year old that is not a great idea...
    moki1984

Comment by moki1984 (original poster) at 8:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I would go to a fabric store that sells home decorator fabrics, and ask to see their durable machine washable fabrics. Once you select one, be sure you pre-wash the fabric before you cut your pieces -- so you know it won't shrink after you make the covers. :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 6:08 PM on Jun. 5, 2011