What helps when you feel like you're going to pass out from a blood draw?

I have no experience in this, I used to be a phlebotomist, so I love watching when I get my blood drawn. My 15 year old sister though, she feels like she's going to pass out in the waiting room, and she does pass out when she gets her blood drawn. Even when she's lying down.

A friend of mine said she has to sing to herself or she will pass out. A dr told my sister to dry this relaxing herb, L Theinine or something like that.

She needs these tests done, and my mom isn't willing to try a third time. What can help her? Does she need a Valium before she goes? Is there something else that can ease her anxiety about it? Please, anyone who has felt like that, please tell me what to do!

corbysmom531

Asked by corbysmom531 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Health

• i pass out everytime! it never fails. I can tell when im getting ready to, so i let them know & they usually get me a orange juice & something sweet
    BrandiM189

Answer by BrandiM189 at 12:50 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I'm surprised the people didn't offer her something to drink if she was feeling faint; I am diabetic and ever time they do a blood draw on me for whatever reason they always either give me orange juice, apple juice or grape juice, and I always have candy in my purse along with Glucose tablets and if I take one of those they seem to help. Ask the nurse or whomever is right there also what she should do; they should let you know so that you can prevent this from happening.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:13 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I faint as well, and always have. Just tell them before hand and they can have the "smelling salts" ready....as well as some orange juice.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:16 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• It's not a blood sugar problem, it's an anxiety problem. She has plenty to eat/drink before, and during. She just gets so scared because she passed out one, she starts crying and feeling like she's going to pass out in the waiting room. :(
    corbysmom531

Comment by corbysmom531 (original poster) at 2:24 PM on Jun. 6, 2011