Carpet or Hardwoods?

We are about to get new flooring in our house. What would you recommend? Carpets are cozy and I like the feel and look, but I'm concerned about them getting dirty after kids come. Hardwoods are pretty, but I've heard they scratch easy and require alot of cleaning to look nice.

Ash09855

Asked by Ash09855 at 6:24 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Home & Garden

• NO CARPET... carpet keeps the filth in your floors???? Everytime you walk outside, you track it in, it is now in your carpets... everytime you spill, only so much comes out, the rest rotts in your carpet...

I am voting for hardwoods and an area rug if you need... easier/cheaper to keep clean
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 6:28 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I agree with MommaClark.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 6:39 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I would go with carpet if you have young children because it's a softer landing as they are learning to walk.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:18 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• of course wood, especially if you have kids...less messy & easier to clean..
    Saritha

Answer by Saritha at 1:21 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Hardwood or laminate is awesome for allergy sufferers and pet owners, but be aware it's a HUGE amount of work if you have pets. Things carpet would normally hide you are going to see and it's gross. It really shows you what your carpet's been hiding.

Also? Add area rugs in every room to help with heat because that floor is cold in the morning. I love laminate/hardwood because it's SO easy to maintain and you can actually completely clean it where carpet is just impossible to fully clean and we have allergy sufferers in our house.
    jandshyne

Answer by jandshyne at 1:34 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I have been on both sides of this "fence"! I had carpet when my kids were small and it's a constant job to keep it spotless! Somethig was accidently getting spilled constantly and now we live in a house with hardwood floors, so now I don't have to get upset when my grandchilden spill things. We moved to this house in December and it's true that the floors are cold in winter months, but we will be grateful when summer arrives! lol
    meatums

Answer by meatums at 1:54 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Carpet sucks. I hate it. I prefer laminate or bamboo flooring over wood. And I like tile as well.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:13 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• Hardwood is my vote. Laminate might be easier to maintain scratch-free. Our hardwood has a lot of scratches. :/
    Vix920

Answer by Vix920 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 5, 2011