She turned on the garbage disposal while my hand was in it...

I repeatedly told my 5 yr old DD to leave the kitchen area because all morning she has been making messes in there. While I was trying to wash the dishes, she continued to push the step stool towards the sink after I repeatedly asked her to not do that. Then she continued to grab the dishes and splash the water. I asked her to just let me take care of it because I've been cleaning up after her all day today. I reached into the garbage disposal to grab whatever was jammed inside and she turned it on. As soon as I heard it go on I pulled my hand out. I'm not cut or anything, just in shock because of what could have happened. I know she didn't do it to hurt me since she doesn't know exactly what it does. But she could have hurt me and I asked her over and over again to stay out of the kitchen so she wouldn't hurt herself! I am in shock and angry. Right now I'm separated from her (in different rooms) so I can calm down/think logically but I can't so now I'm on here asking for advise on how to handle this. I called her father but he's unavailable so I guess it's just up to me for now. Any ideas or suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:42 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• send her to bed. seriously. that is very dangerous- especially if she knows what it is for and what it does.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 6:44 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• You gave repeated warnings and unless their is a developmental delay you did not mention she is well old enough to know how to listen and follow directs and know how dangerous what she did was. I agree send her to bed but not before a very long discussion on why it is so important for everyone that she listens to you.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I'd put my child in time out.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 6:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Okay I never spank, but at the time I would have,, I spanked my son when he ran out into traffic, and to this day he never has forgotten it. Now it is too late google garbage disposal accidents, and show her how dangerous it can be NOT to listen to mommy,, don't you love 5 year olds, DS is 6 and I think kindergarten is when the "terribles" come out,, lol,, thank god your okay!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:45 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• You need to explain to her why she should not ever turn that on. It sounds like she has been pushing you all day. You need to stop it before it goes on so long. She needs to be set down and do something calmly. You need to accept responsibility and think about how you could have better handled this day.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:47 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• A good swat on the bottom and being sent to her room is a start....
    then when things are more calm, explain to her why she was punished and
    how she could have seriously hurt you...
    She is old enough to know better and now is the time to put your foot down and
    make her understand this...

Good Luck
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:52 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I feel horrible and almost helpless. All day every day I am right by her side. I do the time outs and then it's something else. I think I am going to google images of those accidents so she can see exactly why I am horrified but that's not even the issue anymore. Why doesn't she listen to me the FIRST time!? From now on, time outs the second time I have to ask, consistently no matter how tired or drained I am. I'm trying to balance a business, school and my kids while single so I feel mentally/physically exhausted.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:54 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Being consistent is key, otherwise you'll confuse her. I do, warning for timeout if they don't listen the first time, the second time, timeout, if they still don't listen they get sent to bed for a nap.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 6:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• You need to explain to her what that button does. Kids need to know what the dangers around them are. When my DD is like that, I put her in her room. She throws a fit and sometimes I have to keep going back, but after I stuck with it she's better. It sounds like maybe she just wanted you to do something with her. Maybe get her entertained, ask her to color you a picture or give her a "chore" in the kitchen if she wants to be there with you. Generally if DD gets a chore, she disappears on me.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 7:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I don't know why you asked her SO many times to get out of the kitchen, back away from the sink, etc etc. Ask her once, tell her once more, and then move her out o the kitchen, away from the sink, into the other room. She's five, get her somethign to do. She obviously is bored and is looking to be entered. Let her color, paint, do crafts, play games, something. And don't let her endanger you or herself.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 8:49 PM on Jun. 4, 2011