my son wont stop crying

my 3 week old son cries everynight for an hour befor bed time he has been feed changed and i rock him but nothing seems to help this just started 3 days ago what is this and what should i do

mom-to-be21

Asked by mom-to-be21 at 11:37 PM on Dec. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• could it be gas? feel his tummy, if its really hard then it may be gas. he also may be over tired. try putting him down earlier
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:38 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• he might have gas, try holding him on your arm face down with his face by your elbow so that your arm is putting pressure on his tummy if that makes sense.
    Anonymous

• His belly could be upset. Is it after he eats when this happens?
    Sometimes my son would cry at night. They call it the witch hour. For some reason there is a certain time of the day that babies get upset at. Could be gas.

Try gripe water. It's all natural and worked miracles on my son!
    lanesmommy08

Answer by lanesmommy08 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• he goes to bed everynight a 9 and he is always gasy ever since birth all he does alday is fart. im just worried cause he was born with heart problems and also was in the nicu for 1 week after birth due to the heart problems and abdominal distention
    mom-to-be21

Answer by mom-to-be21 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• he probably has gas, i would recommend trying to give him mylcon drops to see if it helps.
    CAFEMOM28

Answer by CAFEMOM28 at 11:42 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• Hmm well I agree with the above, also, if you breastfeed, maybe something you ate, bottle feed, maybe lactose intolerant and need to switch. I loved carnation. Gas is an ugly culprit. Put a pillow on your lap and put your baby tummy down. Rub back in a circular motion and voila! Fart! Gas makes their tummies hurt and they don't know how to get rid of it. You gotta help them out.
    Anonymous

• i wouldnt worry yourself too much, it may just be a combo of gas and his cranky time. of course if you have any concerns call the pediatrician. even if it is nothing, the doctor can atleast put your mind at ease. you can give him gas drops. they work wonders! i strated giving them to my daughter at about that age, she had the exact same problem, and i started giving those to her right after she ate, or right before, and she never had a problem anymore. so it could be a simple solution, dont worry yourself too much hun
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:44 PM on Dec. 9, 2008

• my son cried alot, still does. but early on we had him checked my the doctors. the found blood in his stool.( not noticiable my the eye. ) which indicated a milk protein allergy. .they simply changed his food. it helped. is it too early for colic? colic is real. my son had this. between 7:30 -9 atleast 4 days out of the week. all i can say is good luck, and take the help that is or was offered to you. it will be a growing experience for sure. also talk to your doctor. they are here for us.
    MaVie

Answer by MaVie at 1:52 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• Sounds like colic also called the witching hr, very normal. It will eventually go away.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 1:56 AM on Dec. 10, 2008

• MYLICON is a very safe gas reliever for infants, its just a few drops and the doctor said he could have it everyday of his life and there would be no problem, you can give it up to 12 times a day and it really works wonders. The poor baby doesnt know how to relieve the gas adn I know for me rubbing the back didnt help with my son, MYLICON saved his sleep! and his attitude!
    SinkorSwim913

Answer by SinkorSwim913 at 9:25 AM on Dec. 10, 2008