$380 In Food Stamps for a Family of 4? NO BASHING!

Should that be enough to last for a month?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• yes. We spend about that much. It isn't fun and exciting stuff but we eat well. You would need to learn to take advantage of sales, meal plan and stick to a list to make it work.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Yes it should and don't be ashamed! You can use coupons with them and it really helps. Do you have grocery thrift stores like Aldis or Food for less? Also watch the newspaper for things on sale and stock up!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• It depends on where you live & shop, as food prices vary greatly from state to state & store to store. For us, it would be plenty, because I spend less than that per month for both food & household supplies. The key is to plan your meals around seasonal ingredients, because foods bought in season are always cheaper. Coupons are great, too, but only if you actually use & like the brand you have the coupon for. If you have the freezer space, prepare double meals & freeze half of it for later. Buying in bulk is great, too, but be sure to do a price breakdown first to make sure you really are getting a better deal than if you bought in a smaller portion. Lastly, if the foodstamps aren't enough, find a foodbank to help supplement your food supplies.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Well almost, I know it depends on other income and stuff ,, I have a family of 3 and spend about the same on FOOD alone, so hopefully you can make it work,, just shop the sale adds and be careful, I will hope that things get better for you soon!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:57 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I wish I had $380 a month for my family of four. It's just me and three kids.
    Ya, it should be enough. Cook meals, freeze left overs and eat them at the end of the month. Save a little for parashable food like milk, eggs and bread.
    Make juice from concentrate like 74 cents for a picter of juince vs. buying it already in plastic bottle.
    it should be enough, you just have to plan your meals and make it last.
    I spend between $200 - $300 a month.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 6:59 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I don't know, but it all depends on how big/small your family is and what you make. If you make more than another family of 4, then you would get less I'm assuming.
    IMO it should be more than enough. Before we were a family of 6, we used to feed ourselves and buy household supplies(toilet paper, cleaning stuff) on 25-300/month.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 7:00 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Shop at Aldi's and use coupons...it might just last. That's not very much though.
    Anonymous

• Yes, that should be enough. A lot of people live on half that for a food budget.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 7:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• It should last. Food stamps aren't meant to cover your whole grocery bill. They are given to SUPPLEMENT for help.
    Anonymous

• I wish I had $380 a month for groceries. WOW. That should be more than enough unless you eat high dollar stuff all the time. Now I realize that we actually eat on a "shoe-string".
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 8:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2011