Fattening up my Chihuahua?

Ok so a friend of mine gave me and DH her chihuahua's little puppy. He broke his leg a few months back but he is healed and better now but he didn't eat a lot when he had a broken leg. She said his vet told her to buy Science Diet for him to fatten him up but as soon as he eats it he poops it out! He has gained weight and we have had him for 3 weeks and well you can still see his ribs. A co-worker of DH said that he thinks our dog may have worms and to buy him deworming medicine and some Pedigree and that should take care of the weight problem. I have only owned 2 dogs previously one was a border collie who lived to be 15 and my dad had to have him put down and then I had a golden retriever mix that got stolen so it's been a while since I've had a dog.

nightngale83

Asked by nightngale83 at 7:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Pets

• its worms more than likel and be careful with worms and chis because it kills them easily. i have a 5 weeks old chi puppy and she got real bad no eating drinking or anything and was skinny gave her a 5 and 1 shot and some worm med and she was fine...she is fat now lol
    babygirl_18

Answer by babygirl_18 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• also, chis are more than likely not to bloat normally like other dog when having worms they usually will just get skinny and dehydrated
    babygirl_18

Answer by babygirl_18 at 7:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• He eats and drinks all the time I think only one day he didn't eat but that's it! He is always begging for more water.
    nightngale83

Comment by nightngale83 (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• He could have works or there might even be something else going on. While I would not recommend either of the foods that you mentioned I would have him checked out first before changing his food.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:56 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I wish I could post a pic of him
    nightngale83

Comment by nightngale83 (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• *worms sorry
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:13 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• nightngale83

Comment by nightngale83 (original poster) at 9:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• nightngale83

Comment by nightngale83 (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• he is pretty skinny. How many times a day are you feeding him? Whenever I foster a dog that is skinny like this I feed them 4 or 5 small meals a day depending on the dog.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Twice a day cuz that's what my friends vet said to do but I fill his bowl up. That pic was taken a few days ago he's a lil bigger now. He pees a lot and I am very careful not to give him too much water. I was told Science Diet is meant to keep him at a fit weight but he is so tiny!
    nightngale83

Comment by nightngale83 (original poster) at 9:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2011