Castro oil - no bashing please, just experiences

i have been having these painful contractions for 2 days stright, i cant sleep or get comfy at all. But they are so speratic, and it drives me nuts. I try walking and they will get closer together then just wait 20 mins and start again. Ive tried laying on my side and drinking water and all that good stuff.

One of my friends suggested that I should try castro oil to help speed up the contractions. This makes me uneased because ive heard good and bad things about it. If I wasnt having these contractions all the time then i wouldnt even consider it. I dont wanna seem like a bad mother but at the same time i cant sleep or hardly function when they get so painful. Their usually about 30 to 45 secs. long.

So plese dont say im a selfish person and all this, im just asking if you've tried it or know someone that has what happend? I heard it could make the baby poo, and thats my biggest fear. If I dont go into labor, then how do i know if the baby pooped ?

And does anyone know any other wy? The contractions have started, I just need them to be regular(ive tried sex, spicey food and walking & this horriable egg plant stuff)

Thanks!

juniebug11

Asked by juniebug11 at 7:01 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Pregnancy

• My friend did castor oil and REGRETTED IT! It did not make her have the baby it made her have vomiting and diarrhea for 24 hour straight. Not fun when you are 9 months pregnant!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Don't do it, nothing will help, the baby will come ONLY when the baby's ready, it'll just make you sick.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 7:10 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• i heard a cousin of mine did that and she did have her baby. I never heard if thee were any ill side effects.
    Google it and see the pro's and con's.
    what is your doctor telling you?
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 7:11 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• my first doctor was for it, my second one doctor never mentioned it and now this doctor says no ( she's a midwife)
    I dont thinkim going to. but im in just pain, i wish there was something else i could try
    juniebug11

Comment by juniebug11 (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I tried everything, but that, because I didn't dare after hearing the horror stories. I tried walking, spicy food, squats...you name it. My baby came 5 days after my due date anyway, it won't be long, hang in there.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 7:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• raspberry leaf tea. Look at a whole food or world market. Make sure you OB knows you are trying it.
    Anonymous

• My first I did it twice and neither time worked-btw I was 3cm dilated and due. My second daughter i was 3cm dialated and took it randomly at night. Stayed up for 6 hours waiting for it to kick in and it never did. I fell asleep and got up two hours later and pooped my brains out! I crawled back into bed and boom i started having contractions. 1 hour later I started bleeding and had intense contractions and gave birth a few hours later!

I'm not usre if it was a fluke but I'm happy I was cleaned out lol!
    CaityMarie

Answer by CaityMarie at 7:25 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I used it twice to induce labor, each time I was 42 weeks along and I was trying to avoid a medical induction. I would never have tried it but my mid wife suggested it. After doing some research of my own I was comfortable with trying it. It cleared out my system, started contractions and worked with no adverse effects to me our my little ones.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Go to this link and read the rest of this article, this is only part of it... about Castor oil to encourage labor:

Castor Oil to Encourage Labor?
    by Alicia Huntley, CNM, MSN
    Q. Is it safe to take castor oil to get labor started? How much should I use?

http://www.storknet.com/cubbies/childbirth/exah2.htm
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 7:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Oh BTW I used 2 oz mixed with 2 oz grape juice. Gross but you have to use that much or it's a WASTE!
    CaityMarie

Answer by CaityMarie at 7:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2011