Circumcision?

Let's say that my son was going out with the daughter of a Jewish family. If my son were to propose....will he have any explaining to do because he is not circumcised? Does the family have the right to know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Religious Debate

• This is a discussion he and this girl need to have on their own.
    *Is you son okay with his children being raised Jewish, including circumcision?
    *Is the woman willing to allow her sons to not be circumcised if your DH is passionate about that?
    *Is the woman willing to deal with her family and stand by your son if she marries him or is the family going to always cause tension between them?
    *Is there compromise on any of this?

These are things only they can decide.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:17 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Well, if they are upset he is not circumcised I would assume they were also upset he is not Jewish so that 'upset' would only be a side effect of some thing bigger. On another note- no it is no ones business what is in his pants other than him and his SO.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• It is between the woman and your son. It would be another story if he were to convert.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Good question. That religion ,the boys r not circumcised.

u have it backwards... THEY ARE circumcised
    Anonymous

• its none of the family's business. This is a silly question. He and the wife will figure things out- just like millions of men and women have for thousands of years.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 7:06 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• It is his business and hers nobody elses!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:07 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• You don't understand the family is already expressing opposition because my son doesn't practice their religion.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• He doesn't have to change his religion or be circumcized to marry the girl. The family probably assumes that if he is not Jewish then he is probably not circumcized. BUT, in Jewish tradition, if they marry, the children that they have are raised in the faith of the Mother. So they will be circumcized if they have boys.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Yikes, my stand is to have the little boy, look like dad.
    I don't think, the family should know personal stuff about the groom. And that should not stop them from being together.
    It was not his choice to be circmcised, it was his parents, so no he shouldn't have to explain anything.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 7:09 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Cont....
    For my son not being circumcised might give the family an excuse to reject him.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:11 PM on Jun. 4, 2011