I need help pricing a service. Can you ladies give me some feedback?

I own an errand/personal assistant/concierge servicecompany. I pretty much do anything that people don't have time for as long as it is not immoral, illegal, and I am qualified to do it. ( I won't be performing surgery so the doctor can play golf, lol). Anyways, I am thinking about offering a new service. A few of my friends have complained about finding babysitters for date nights but they really don't have the time to interview babysitters, nannies, etc. I thought about offering a service where I match up babysitters and nannies to families. I do a phone consultation with the family to find out what they are looking for and then I interview, get background checks, and make sure they have the proper qualifications that the family is looking for. I know there is sittercity.com and care.com, but I will be taking the leg work (and paperwork) out of the equation for the families. Anyways, I am not sure what to charge. I was thinking about either doing a per year fee or a per referral fee. For example, if I did a per year fee, then I would refer as many people to the families as needed. So if they need a weekend babysitter and I referred them a babysitter that they loved but then 6 months later they needed a nanny (but the weekend babysitter couldn't do it), then I would refer them someone for the nanny position. If I did it per referral, then they would only pay for what they need when they need it. I was thinking of the per year fee being $50 a year and the per referral fee being $20 per referral. What do you think? I hope this makes sense.

Oh, just to point out sittercity charges $35 a month or $140 for the year. Not sure about care.com.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Money & Work

• That seems reasonable to me. I would pay it
    Ronnies_Girl

Answer by Ronnies_Girl at 7:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Wow....you mean Moms want to have 'date night/s" but.....they are too busy with everything else to search out a babysitter, nanny etc for their own children? Really? That just sounds ridiculous to me. Why even HAVE children if you are so busy living your own life that you have to PAY another individual to search out and find you a babysitter so you can go out some more?? This is the fabric of America? No wonder so many kids have more anachronyms than/issues than we can keep up with. Who really raises these children? Who gives them their time , besides a very few hours a week? Teachers, Daycare, Babysitters and friends....Wow. again. This is all part of a bigger problem.
    I can see people forking over the money for your service though, I definitely can. I would never leave that in the hands of a stranger/ qualified or not, to find someone to put my kids to bed. No Thanks. I'm the Mother.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 8:18 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• The parents don't have to be "living their own lives" in order to use my services. In fact, most of my clients are stay at home moms. They are too busy taking their kids to soccer practice, homeschooling, or spending quality time with their families to do everyday trivial errands. Most parents I know, have no clue in where to look for a qualified babysitter. I know several wonderful babysitters and nannies. Just because parents want to spend quality time together doesn't mean they are neglecting their children.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2011