Do you ever think a "swat" is appropriate?

I have swatted my son (he is 6) exactly 2 times in his life, once for running out into traffic, when he was 4, and once for spray painting my car (when he was 5) I do time outs as a rule, but I believe that when something major happens you should have a major consequence. My father spanked me once when I was 8 for scribbliling my spelling words, and I never forgot it. I don't believe in spanking for every offense, but DS still will not go into the road unless he has my hand, and as for the spray paint, he was told over and over not to touch the can, I was painting our lawn furniture and had to go inside for a minute to check on my mother who is very ill. I just wanted your thoughts on a swat,,,,thanks,,

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 7:21 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• LOL! That is too funny! ;-) I definitely think spanking is overused. But I also think it's under-used in some cases. Haha. There is a middle road; it completely depends on the kids, the parents, and the situation.
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 7:30 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• You'll get a lot of varied responses on this one. There are a lot of people who will condemn you for even two swats. I, for one, think it sounds like you know how to reserve it for only the worst offenses, and that is a philosophy I can side with!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 7:24 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Yes, I do. I think there is huge difference between a swat and a beating, but saddly there are a lot of moms here that don't. Sounds like you have parenting under control (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:29 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• Depends on the child and the situation. I find it awfully egotistical when parents think they know better and don't "need" to consider it as an option when millennia of parenting says the exact opposite.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:19 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• thank you so much, I really don't care if I get bashed, but sometimes I think spanking is over used,, I have never once threatened it, it just happened as a result of something major,, today my husband and I were painting the deck and I let DS "help" he said, well I know I better not paint the car! LOL!
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 7:26 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• So you think he will run into traffic when I am not there.. this is the rudest comment I have ever had,, and psycho should be saved for someone who deserves it,, like somebody who calls names,, as far as my father being ignorant, he took alot of pride on never using any kind of force with me or my brother,, I deserved a swat on the behind for being really lazy when I could do better,, at least I have only swatted my child twice,, sounds like you could use one yourself ANON!
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 7:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• There are other ways to get your point across besides hitting your kid.
    Anonymous

• no. I've had a rough day so won't tell you what I think of your theory. Needless to say it's negative. What you taught him was chasing and hitting is ok so he'll grow up and chase people and hit them. At that age he needs to be reminded of the dangers of the street and to respect other people's property. TEACH HIM by telling him and stop the hitting. It doesn't even make sense if you think of it logically. As for your dad, he was ignorant of how to rear a child. You never forgot it bc it's an assault! Do you want your son growing up to remember you only as an assaulter? Dad taught you and now you are teaching your son. Break the cycle since hitting doesn't work. It's not effective. Your son will still do it, just not in front of you anymore bc now he thinks you are psycho.
    Anonymous