How to do you do your grocery shopping?

I'm one of those moms that don't cook much, but want to get out of that. I spend at least $400/mo on groceries. DH, DS, and DD are picky eaters. So what I buy to feed them cost me a fortune. Now forgetting what they want, I want to make meals that are healthy, filling, and save me money. I want to cut my grocery bill at least to $200-$250 a month. With three meals a day, how do you budget your grocery shopping?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Jun. 4, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I spend $50 or less per week, including non-food items. We stock up and use coupons when things are on sale, and plan meals around what's on hand, not what we feel like eating. We also cook from scratch - buy nothing from the middle aisles of the store but the basics - flour, sugar salt, rice, etc and plain frozen veggies. Don't used canned - unhealthy and cost more. Get your family used to brown rice (regular, not instant), and that one change will make a huge difference, in both nutrition and cost.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:43 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• We spend between $50 and $100 a week on groceries, but we've been saving lots more with coupons/shopping the sales. I make everything from scratch and send my husband to work every day with a sandwich, a pb sandwich (for breakfast) and a "snack" (some kind of baked good, made from scratch). I buy my flour, sugar, brown sugar, in bulk from BJs so that saves me a ton of money. What kills me is fresh fruits/veggies, so I always look for fresh stuff that's on sale.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 8:34 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• My budget is $140 a week. Sorry, can't help ya. Mine is way better than it used to be. I write up a weekly menu every Friday night and then figure out what I'm going to buy and when (i.e. have to go later in the week for fresh meats/veggies for meals on Wed and Thurs) and do the big shopping on Saturdays.
    Anonymous

• In addition to what others have said, you should buy your fresh produce based on what's in season, not just by what you like to eat (though that's important, too), because in season fresh fruits & veggies are almost always cheaper and on sale. If you know how to can your own foods or have a large freezer available to you, buy the fresh foods when they're at their cheapest & either can or blanch & freeze them yourself for off-season eating. This saves us a ton of money.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:33 PM on Jun. 4, 2011

• I write out a week of meals and snacks. I base my grocery list on the ingredients I need to complete my meal plan.

I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, simple, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:00 AM on Jun. 5, 2011

• I match my meals with what is on sale for the week. I also spend about 100 a week for a family of five but I have saved about 50-80 dollars with coupons. To me they are my food budget savors. Plus besides coupons I down load right to my card.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 7:20 PM on Jun. 5, 2011

• we write a list and clip coupons and only buy what is on the list unless we see something we need that we have forgotten to write down
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:51 PM on Jun. 5, 2011